1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reserve Bank Debenture

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    Nominal Value: R3 000 000
    Issue Date: 1 January 2006
    Expiry Date: 30 June 2006
    Interest Rate: 9,25%

On 25 February this instrument trades at an interest of 8,50%. The number of days from 1 Jan 2006 to 25 February is 55 days, from 25 February to 30 June is 125 days and from 1 Jan 2006 to 30 June 2006 there are 180 days. What is the consideration in the secondary market?
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is NOT a mathematics problem! Once you know the definitions of all those terms, and the basic formulas, which are really Economics, the only math involved is arithmetic.

4. Sep 11, 2007 #3
    Thanks!!!!!!!!

5. Sep 11, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't foist that onto economists, who do use real math (though not as much as mathematicians, of course). This is a problem of finance or accountancy, which use no more than basic arithmetic.

6. Sep 11, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend economist!

On the other hand, my brother is an accountant and makes four times as much as I do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?