Residual stresses in thick cylinders (Autofrettage)

• Thread starter MechEngStu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinders
In summary, to determine the residual stresses at the cylinder bore when the autofrettage pressure is removed and the new factor of safety when the working pressure is applied, use the equations σ_res = σ_1 – 580 and FOS = 850/ (σ_res + 240).
MechEngStu
Hello,

I have been working on a question regarding thick cylinders and determining the factor of safety (FOS).

I have attached the main part of the question that I was able to solve.

However, the question now asks that due to the low FOS, the cylinder is subjected to an autofrettage pressure of 580MN/m squared. Determine the residual stresses produced at the cylinder bore when the autofrettage pressure is removed and determine the new factor of safety when the working pressure of 240 MN/m squared is applied.
The material yield stress is given as 850 MN/m squared and axial stresses can be ignored.

What I have done to solve this was to simply sub 580 in for the value of P in the attached file. This gave me sigma 1 and sigma 3. I then followed the same steps as before but I got a factor of safety of 0.65 which is lower than the previous.

If anyone could point me in the right direction with regard to finding the residual stresses at least, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 479
Engineering news on Phys.org
,Residual stresses can be determined by using the equation:σ_res = σ_1 - P Where σ_res is the residual stress, σ_1 is the initial stress from your calculation, and P is the autofrettage pressure. Therefore, you can calculate the residual stresses at the cylinder bore when the autofrettage pressure is removed as σ_res = σ_1 – 580 To determine the new factor of safety, you need to calculate the total stress at the cylinder bore when the working pressure of 240 MN/m squared is applied. The total stress is given by the equation:σ_tot = σ_res + 240 The factor of safety is then calculated as the ratio of yield stress to total stress: FOS = 850/σ_tot. Once you have calculated the residual stress and the total stress, you can then use these values to calculate the new factor of safety.

1. What are residual stresses in thick cylinders and how are they formed?

Residual stresses in thick cylinders are internal stresses that remain in a material even after all external loads have been removed. They are formed due to plastic deformation of the material during the manufacturing process, such as autofrettage, which involves subjecting the cylinder to high internal pressure.

2. How do residual stresses affect the mechanical properties of thick cylinders?

Residual stresses can greatly affect the mechanical properties of thick cylinders. They can increase the yield and ultimate strength of the material, but also decrease its ductility and fatigue life. These effects must be carefully considered in the design and use of thick cylinders.

3. What is autofrettage and how does it induce residual stresses in thick cylinders?

Autofrettage is a process used to increase the strength of thick cylinders. It involves subjecting the cylinder to high internal pressure, causing plastic deformation and compressive residual stresses in the inner layers of the material. This helps to counteract the tensile stresses that will be induced when the cylinder is subjected to external pressure.

4. What factors can influence the magnitude of residual stresses in thick cylinders?

The magnitude of residual stresses in thick cylinders can be influenced by various factors, such as the material properties, geometry and dimensions of the cylinder, the autofrettage pressure and process, and thermal effects. These factors must be carefully controlled and considered in order to achieve the desired level of residual stresses.

5. How can residual stresses in thick cylinders be measured and controlled?

Residual stresses in thick cylinders can be measured using various methods, such as X-ray diffraction, neutron diffraction, and strain gauge techniques. In terms of control, the autofrettage process can be optimized to achieve the desired level of residual stresses, and post-treatment methods such as shot peening can be used to further enhance the compressive stresses in the material.