Residue Calc: (z^2 e^z)/(1+e^2z)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the residues in the function (z^2 e^z)/(1+e^2z), specifically at the points where e^2z = -1. The suggested steps include finding the point where the function ceases to be analytic, expanding the denominator, and using known methods to calculate the residue at the pole. The conversation also confirms that there are only two points in the interval [0, 2pi] where e^2z = -1, and the residues at those points must be calculated.
hokhani
what is the residues in below function?

(z^2 e^z)/(1+e^2z )

Physics news on Phys.org
Kindly show us your working first!
And if I were you, I'd follow these steps -:

1. Check the function where it ceases to be analytic, a point which is called a pole. In this case it is e^2z = -1 (Why?).
2. Expand the denominator (probably twice) to check the principal part of the Laurent expansion as to what order the pole(e^2z = -1) might be.
3. Find the residue at the pole using known methods.

Last edited:
ok
thanks
but e^2z=-1 has many reply that they are:
z=i(2n+1)pi/2
I must calculate all the residues(in this case is infinite!)?

What is the exact question?

It sounds I got it
for
e^2z = -1
we have:
z=i(2n+1)pi/2 ;n=0,1,2,3,......
between[0,2pi] there are just two points:
z=i(pi/2) & i(3pi/2)
and we have to find the residues at these points.

please let me know if it is true or not.

Okay yes, in [0, 2pi] those are the only points you have. Go ahead and calculate the residues at those points, for a simple pole e^2z = -1.

1. What is Residue Calculation?

Residue calculation is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to evaluate the value of a complex function at a singular point. It involves finding the coefficient of the Laurent series expansion of the function at that point.

2. How is Residue Calculation used in the equation (z^2 e^z)/(1+e^2z)?

In this equation, Residue Calculation is used to find the value of the function at the singular point z = -i/2. The residue at this point is equal to the coefficient of (z+ i/2)^-1 in the Laurent series expansion of the function.

3. Can Residue Calculation help in finding the poles of a function?

Yes, Residue Calculation can help in finding the poles of a function by evaluating the residues at the singular points. The poles of a function are the points where the function becomes infinite or undefined.

4. Is Residue Calculation only applicable to complex functions?

Yes, Residue Calculation is only applicable to complex functions. It is a method used to evaluate the value of a complex function at a singular point, which cannot be done using traditional calculus methods.

5. Are there any applications of Residue Calculation in real-world problems?

Yes, Residue Calculation has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in calculating the electric field and potential of a charged spherical shell, or in evaluating the steady-state response of an electrical circuit.