1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue of an integral

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    use the residue theorem to find the value of the integral,
    integral of [itex] z^3e^{\frac{-1}{z^2}} [/itex] over the contour |z|=5
    3. The attempt at a solution
    When I first look at this I see we have a pole at z=0 , because we cant divide by zero in the exponential term.
    and a pole of order 2, So I multiply the function by the function that causes the singularity , and take the first derivative of that and evaluate it at z=0,
    this give me [itex] 2pi*i[3z^2] [/itex] but this gives me 0,
    my book says the answer should be i*pi , which I can find from the Laurent series , but I cant seem to get it using the residue theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure that I understand. Are you directly calculating Res(f,0) = limz->0(z⋅f(z))?

4. Apr 24, 2017 #3
    so the exponential function, does not have a pole or a removable singularity, since it does not have a pole , I think I just have to expand it in a Laurent series to find the residue, im trying to find the value of that integral over the circle |z|=5, and I am trying to use the residue theorem ,

5. Apr 24, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand that you are trying to use the residue theorem, but what are the details of how you doing that? Are you directly calculating Res(f,0) = limz->0(z⋅f(z))? Or are you trying some other way to find the coefficient of the 1/z term of the Laurent series?

6. Apr 24, 2017 #5
    I expanded the exponential as a Laurent series , then I multiplied by z^3, and then found the 1/z term , other ways wont work because its not a pole ,

7. Apr 24, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll buy that. It is an essential singularity.

8. Apr 24, 2017 #7
    thanks for helping me clear it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted