Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Residue Theorem

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the complex plane, let C be the circle |z| = 2 with positive (counterclockwise) orientation. Show that:

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

This isn't homework, it was a problem in one of the practice GREs. It looks like a straightforward application of the residue theorem, the only problem is that I never understood the second half of complex analysis? The only pole of the integrand contained in the interior of C is 1, so I have to find the residue of the integrand at 1? What's a residue, and how do I find it? Mathworld gives a definition in terms of the Laurent series, but I'm sure there's a simpler way when it comes to basic rational functions like these. And once I have the residue, what do I do, multiply by [itex]2\pi i[/itex]? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{1}{16(z-1)}-\frac{1}{16(z+3)}-\frac{1}{4(z-3)^2} [/tex]

EDIT: Thanks, Tide, for chatching my typo.

by the method of partial fractions, and this also gives the residue at z=1 is 1/16, hence

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = 2\pi i\left( \frac{1}{16}\right)=\frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  4. Jun 4, 2006 #3

TD

Homework Helper

Or, without partial fractions: if z = a is a pole of order 1 of f(z), then:

[tex]
    {\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\left( {z - a} \right)f\left( z \right)} \right)
    [/tex]

So:

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to 1} \frac{{z - 1}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{\left( {1 + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{16}}
    [/tex]

5. Jun 4, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

benorin,

Your last term in the partial fraction expansion should have z+3 instead of z-1.

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something doesn't look right with your partial fraction decomposition. (z-1) occurs to the first power (in the denominator) and (z+3) occurs to the second. On the right side of your equation, it appears you would get (z-1) occuring to the second and (z+3) to the first. Also, how does this give you a residue? Assuming what you have on the right side is correct, do you know somehow that in expanding [itex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)}[/itex] about 1 (i.e. in a Laurent series in powers of (z-1)) that the coefficient of 1/(z-1) will be 0?

Oh wait, is it because if

[tex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^n[/tex]

the the coefficient of 1/(z-1) is zero because:

[tex]\frac{z-1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^{n+1}[/tex]

so we can find a-1 by plugging in z=1 on the left which gives zero. So if this is right, I get how you got the residue to be 1/16. But I have one more sort of stupid question: how did you do the partial fraction decomposition? I would have done:

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{Az + B}{z-1} + \frac{Cz + D}{z+3} + \frac{Ez^2 + Fz + G}{(z+3)^2}[/tex]

and then tried to solve for A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Is there a quicker way?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  7. Jun 4, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. Can this be easily generalized to poles of higher order?

8. Jun 4, 2006 #7

TD

Homework Helper

It can be generalized, but it won't be as easy as this. For higher order poles, derivatives will be involved.

If z = a is a pole of order n of f(z), then:

[tex]
    {\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \frac{1}{{\left( {n - 1} \right)!}}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\frac{{d^{n - 1} \left( {z - a} \right)^n f\left( z \right)}}{{dz^{n - 1} }}} \right)
    [/tex]

Of course, for n = 1, we find the previous formula again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook