Calculating Residue of a Complex Function: A GRE Problem

Also, we could write the formula in terms of the Laurent series.In summary, the problem can be solved by using the residue theorem and finding the residue at the pole z=1. The residue can be found by using the method of partial fractions or by using the formula for poles of order 1. The final result is \frac{\pi i}{8}.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In the complex plane, let C be the circle |z| = 2 with positive (counterclockwise) orientation. Show that:

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

This isn't homework, it was a problem in one of the practice GREs. It looks like a straightforward application of the residue theorem, the only problem is that I never understood the second half of complex analysis? The only pole of the integrand contained in the interior of C is 1, so I have to find the residue of the integrand at 1? What's a residue, and how do I find it? Mathworld gives a definition in terms of the Laurent series, but I'm sure there's a simpler way when it comes to basic rational functions like these. And once I have the residue, what do I do, multiply by [itex]2\pi i[/itex]? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{1}{16(z-1)}-\frac{1}{16(z+3)}-\frac{1}{4(z-3)^2} [/tex]

EDIT: Thanks, Tide, for chatching my typo.

by the method of partial fractions, and this also gives the residue at z=1 is 1/16, hence

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = 2\pi i\left( \frac{1}{16}\right)=\frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

Last edited:
Or, without partial fractions: if z = a is a pole of order 1 of f(z), then:

[tex]
{\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\left( {z - a} \right)f\left( z \right)} \right)
[/tex]

So:

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to 1} \frac{{z - 1}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{\left( {1 + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{16}}
[/tex]

benorin,

Your last term in the partial fraction expansion should have z+3 instead of z-1.

Something doesn't look right with your partial fraction decomposition. (z-1) occurs to the first power (in the denominator) and (z+3) occurs to the second. On the right side of your equation, it appears you would get (z-1) occurring to the second and (z+3) to the first. Also, how does this give you a residue? Assuming what you have on the right side is correct, do you know somehow that in expanding [itex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)}[/itex] about 1 (i.e. in a Laurent series in powers of (z-1)) that the coefficient of 1/(z-1) will be 0?

Oh wait, is it because if

[tex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^n[/tex]

the the coefficient of 1/(z-1) is zero because:

[tex]\frac{z-1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^{n+1}[/tex]

so we can find a-1 by plugging in z=1 on the left which gives zero. So if this is right, I get how you got the residue to be 1/16. But I have one more sort of stupid question: how did you do the partial fraction decomposition? I would have done:

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{Az + B}{z-1} + \frac{Cz + D}{z+3} + \frac{Ez^2 + Fz + G}{(z+3)^2}[/tex]

and then tried to solve for A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Is there a quicker way?

Last edited:
TD said:
Or, without partial fractions: if z = a is a pole of order 1 of f(z), then:

[tex]
{\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\left( {z - a} \right)f\left( z \right)} \right)
[/tex]

So:

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to 1} \frac{{z - 1}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{\left( {1 + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{16}}
[/tex]
Thanks. Can this be easily generalized to poles of higher order?

It can be generalized, but it won't be as easy as this. For higher order poles, derivatives will be involved.

If z = a is a pole of order n of f(z), then:

[tex]
{\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \frac{1}{{\left( {n - 1} \right)!}}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\frac{{d^{n - 1} \left( {z - a} \right)^n f\left( z \right)}}{{dz^{n - 1} }}} \right)
[/tex]

Of course, for n = 1, we find the previous formula again.

1. What is a residue in complex analysis?

A residue is a complex number that is calculated for a function that has a singularity, or a point where the function is not defined, in the complex plane. It is found by taking the limit of the function as it approaches the singularity.

2. How do I calculate the residue of a complex function?

To calculate the residue of a complex function, you need to first identify the singularities of the function. Then, use the formula Res(f, z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z), where z0 is the singularity, to find the residue at that point.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the residue of a complex function?

The residue of a complex function is important in calculating complex integrals. It allows us to evaluate these integrals using the Residue Theorem, which states that the integral of a complex function around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues at the singularities inside the contour.

4. Can the residue of a complex function be negative?

Yes, the residue of a complex function can be negative. The sign of the residue depends on the direction of the contour used in the Residue Theorem. If the contour is traversed in a clockwise direction, the residue will have a negative sign, and if it is traversed in a counterclockwise direction, the residue will have a positive sign.

5. Are there any tips for solving complex function residue problems on the GRE?

One important tip for solving complex function residue problems on the GRE is to carefully identify the singularities and understand their properties. Also, make sure to use the correct formula for calculating the residue and check your calculations carefully. Practice with sample problems can also help improve your skills in solving these types of problems.