1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue Theorem

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the complex plane, let C be the circle |z| = 2 with positive (counterclockwise) orientation. Show that:

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

This isn't homework, it was a problem in one of the practice GREs. It looks like a straightforward application of the residue theorem, the only problem is that I never understood the second half of complex analysis? The only pole of the integrand contained in the interior of C is 1, so I have to find the residue of the integrand at 1? What's a residue, and how do I find it? Mathworld gives a definition in terms of the Laurent series, but I'm sure there's a simpler way when it comes to basic rational functions like these. And once I have the residue, what do I do, multiply by [itex]2\pi i[/itex]? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{1}{16(z-1)}-\frac{1}{16(z+3)}-\frac{1}{4(z-3)^2} [/tex]

EDIT: Thanks, Tide, for chatching my typo.

by the method of partial fractions, and this also gives the residue at z=1 is 1/16, hence

[tex]\int _C \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = 2\pi i\left( \frac{1}{16}\right)=\frac{\pi i}{8}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  4. Jun 4, 2006 #3

TD

Homework Helper

Or, without partial fractions: if z = a is a pole of order 1 of f(z), then:

[tex]
    {\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\left( {z - a} \right)f\left( z \right)} \right)
    [/tex]

So:

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to 1} \frac{{z - 1}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{\left( {1 + 3} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}{{16}}
    [/tex]

5. Jun 4, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

benorin,

Your last term in the partial fraction expansion should have z+3 instead of z-1.

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something doesn't look right with your partial fraction decomposition. (z-1) occurs to the first power (in the denominator) and (z+3) occurs to the second. On the right side of your equation, it appears you would get (z-1) occuring to the second and (z+3) to the first. Also, how does this give you a residue? Assuming what you have on the right side is correct, do you know somehow that in expanding [itex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)}[/itex] about 1 (i.e. in a Laurent series in powers of (z-1)) that the coefficient of 1/(z-1) will be 0?

Oh wait, is it because if

[tex]\frac{1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^n[/tex]

the the coefficient of 1/(z-1) is zero because:

[tex]\frac{z-1}{16(z+3)} = \sum a_n(z-1)^{n+1}[/tex]

so we can find a-1 by plugging in z=1 on the left which gives zero. So if this is right, I get how you got the residue to be 1/16. But I have one more sort of stupid question: how did you do the partial fraction decomposition? I would have done:

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+3)^2} = \frac{Az + B}{z-1} + \frac{Cz + D}{z+3} + \frac{Ez^2 + Fz + G}{(z+3)^2}[/tex]

and then tried to solve for A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Is there a quicker way?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  7. Jun 4, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. Can this be easily generalized to poles of higher order?

8. Jun 4, 2006 #7

TD

Homework Helper

It can be generalized, but it won't be as easy as this. For higher order poles, derivatives will be involved.

If z = a is a pole of order n of f(z), then:

[tex]
    {\mathop{\rm Res}\nolimits} \left( {f,a} \right) = \frac{1}{{\left( {n - 1} \right)!}}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{z \to a} \left( {\frac{{d^{n - 1} \left( {z - a} \right)^n f\left( z \right)}}{{dz^{n - 1} }}} \right)
    [/tex]

Of course, for n = 1, we find the previous formula again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?