Residue Theorem: Theory & Application

In summary, the Residue theorem states that the integral of a function over a closed curve is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function at the enclosed poles. This holds true for a rational function, where the integral can also be evaluated by taking a series of each pole raised to a power and multiplied by its residue. However, for a function f, the relation \oint z^n f(z)dz = 2πi \sum Res(f,z_k) \ {z_k}^n may not hold, as it depends on the specific function and its poles. Further clarification and help is needed in this matter.
mmzaj
the Residue theorem states that :
[tex]\oint {f(z)dz} [/tex] = 2[tex]\pi i[/tex][tex]\sum Res f(z) [/tex]and the summation is taken for all the poles of f(z) enclosed by the counter at which the integration is performed .

now i have read somewhere that

[tex]\oint \frac{f(z)dz}{z^{n+1}}[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi i[/tex][tex]\sum Res f(z) [tex]a^{n}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question? And you messed up the second math disply. :smile:

i'm sorry ! it took me half an hour writing up , and i don't know how it got posted , but it really looks bad :) .
anyway ... my question is : for the second integral - the one with z raised to n+1 in the denominator - is it possible to evaluate it using the Residue theorem ? what i have read that it can be evaluated using a series in which each pole is raised to n and multiplied with it's residue .
again , I'm very sorry , but latex needs to improved deeply .

come on guys ... !

ok , now i got things going right . for a function f

[tex]\oint f(z)dz[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi i [/tex] [tex]\sum Res(f,z_k)[/tex]

if f is a rational function , does the following relation hold ??

[tex]\oint z^n f(z)dz[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi i [/tex] [tex]\sum Res(f,z_k)[/tex] [tex]\ {z_k}^n[/tex]

where [tex] \ z_k [/tex] are the poles of f .

any help is appreciated .

Last edited:

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical concept in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of certain integrals. It states that if a function is analytic within and on a simple closed contour except for a finite number of isolated singularities, then the integral of the function around the contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities within the contour.

2. How is the Residue Theorem used in applications?

The Residue Theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is also used in areas such as signal processing, control theory, and probability theory.

3. What is a singularity in the context of the Residue Theorem?

In the context of the Residue Theorem, a singularity refers to a point at which a function is not analytic, meaning it is not differentiable. This can occur when a function has a pole, which is a point where the function becomes infinite, or a branch point, where the function has multiple values.

4. Can the Residue Theorem be used to solve any integral?

No, the Residue Theorem can only be applied to integrals that meet certain criteria, such as having a finite number of singularities within a simple closed contour. It is important to carefully consider these criteria before applying the Residue Theorem to a particular integral.

5. Are there any limitations to the Residue Theorem?

While the Residue Theorem is a powerful tool for solving integrals, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are analytic, meaning they are differentiable everywhere. It also cannot be used to solve integrals that involve branch cuts, which are points where a function has a discontinuity.