1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue Theorem

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that f is continuous and that there exist constants A,B ≥ 0 and k>1 such that |f(z)|≤A|z|−k for all z such that |z|>B. let CR denote the semicircle given by |z| = R, Re(z) ≥ 0. Prove that limR→∞∫f(z)dz=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I dont understand what i'm prooving here. I think it has something to do with jordans lemma but I havent a clue! any ideas...please...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is against forum rules to create multiple threads for the same problem.

Have you learned the estimation lemma yet?

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3
    Hi!
    Sorry about the multiple thread but I called it jordans lemma then thought, it might have nothing to do with it but I couldnt delete the thread after creating it!

I havent done the estimation lemma but I looked it up
    Let f : U[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]C be continuous (where U is some subset of C), let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a path in U, and suppose |f(z)| < M for all z [itex]\in \lambda[/itex]. Let length( [itex]\lambda[/itex])= L. Then

|[itex]\int[/itex]f(z)dz| [itex]\leq[/itex] ML.

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I deleted the other thread. Next time, just hit the report button and ask a mentor to edit or delete the thread for you.

6. Aug 19, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is probably in your textbook, but just not named. Many texts (c.f. Mathematical Methods for Physicists A Concise Introduction Tai L. Chow p. 255) simply list it as a property of complex integrals and give a short proof of it.

What is the arclength [itex]L[/itex] of your semicircular contour CR? If [itex]|f(z)| \leq A|z|^{-k}[/itex] (which is what I assume you meant when you wrote |f(z)|≤A|z|−k) and [itex]|z|>B>0[/itex], what is an upper bound for [itex]|f(z)|[/itex] on your semi-circular contour?

What does that tell you about [itex]\left| \int_{CR} f(z) dz \right|[/itex]?

7. Aug 19, 2012 #6
    The arc lenght is[itex]\pi r[/itex]

[itex] |f(z)| \leq A|z|^{-k} [/itex] the semicircle is given by |z| = R so for k>1, if the value of R gets bigger, then the value of [itex] \frac{A}{|z|^{k}} [/itex] gets smaller so as R[itex]\rightarrow\infty[/itex] then [itex] |f(z)| \rightarrow [/itex] 0
    I guess thats what ther're saying but i guess i better try and word it better

8. Aug 19, 2012 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right or, using the estimation lemma with the fact that [itex]|f(z)| \leq A|R|^{-k} [/itex], you have

[tex]\left| \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{CR} f(z)dz \right| = \lim_{R \to \infty} \left| \int_{CR} f(z)dz \right| \leq \lim_{R \to \infty} \left( A|R|^{-k} \right) = 0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook