Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Residues 2

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    residues 2 :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so I have this function and I need to find the residues for it.
    I developed the function into Laurent series and my question is, how can I find a(-1) which is the residues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: residues 2 :)

The function is
    [tex]f(z)= cos(\frac{1}{z-2})[/tex]
    and you correctly used the McLaurin series for cos(u), with u= 1/(z-2), to write the Laurent series
    [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!} (z-2)^{-2n}[/tex]
    Since the power of z- 2 is always even, there is no (z-2)-1 term: the coefficient is 0.

HOWEVER, because that series has an infinite number of negative powers with non-zero coefficient, z= 2 is an essential singularity, not a pole. There is NO residue.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3

Oh, so an essential singularity has no residue?

Thanks.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

How about this one?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I am informed that, according to Wikipedia, I am wrong about this. That is, that the residue is still the coefficient of the -1 power in the Laurent series. The difference is just that the formula for the residue, taking the nth derivative where n is the order of the pole, cannot be used but you still can find it by finding the Laurent series itself. In the case of your first problem, the residue is 0 and for your new problem, it is 1.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook