1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residues 2

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    residues 2 :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so I have this function and I need to find the residues for it.
    I developed the function into Laurent series and my question is, how can I find a(-1) which is the residues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: residues 2 :)

The function is
    [tex]f(z)= cos(\frac{1}{z-2})[/tex]
    and you correctly used the McLaurin series for cos(u), with u= 1/(z-2), to write the Laurent series
    [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!} (z-2)^{-2n}[/tex]
    Since the power of z- 2 is always even, there is no (z-2)-1 term: the coefficient is 0.

HOWEVER, because that series has an infinite number of negative powers with non-zero coefficient, z= 2 is an essential singularity, not a pole. There is NO residue.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3

Oh, so an essential singularity has no residue?

Thanks.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

How about this one?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am informed that, according to Wikipedia, I am wrong about this. That is, that the residue is still the coefficient of the -1 power in the Laurent series. The difference is just that the formula for the residue, taking the nth derivative where n is the order of the pole, cannot be used but you still can find it by finding the Laurent series itself. In the case of your first problem, the residue is 0 and for your new problem, it is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook