Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residues of reciprocal polynomials and functions involving reciprocal polynomials

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    I have need to calculate the residues of some functions of the form [itex]\frac{f(x)}{p(x)}[/itex] where p(x) is a polynomial. To be more specific I have already calculated the 2 residues of [itex]\frac{1}{x^2+a^2}[/itex]. That one was quite easy. Now I'm asked to calculate the residues of
    [itex]\left(\frac{1}{x^2+a^2}\right)^2[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z^2}{x^2+a^2}[/itex]
    How would I do that? I have trouble splitting the fraction up into a series. Is there any general tips for calculating residues of functions with polynomials in the denominator?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    You just try to apply the Cauchy theorem. It's not so hard. For example, the function
    [itex]f(z) = \left( \frac{1}{z^2 + a^2}\right) ^2 [/itex]​
    has two singular point [itex]z_{1,2} = \pm \, a i [/itex], where [itex] i^2 = -1[/itex]. As the definition of residue, we have
    [itex] Res \left[ f , z = ai \right] = \frac{1}{ 2 \pi i } \oint _{|z-ai| = \epsilon} \frac{1}{(z^2 + a^2)^2} dz [/itex]​
    with [itex] \epsilon [/itex] small enough. We write
    [itex] \frac{1}{ 2 \pi i } \oint _{|z-ai| = \epsilon} \frac{1}{(z^2 + a^2)^2} dz = \frac{1}{ 2 \pi i } \oint _{|z-ai| = \epsilon} \frac{1/(z+ai)^2}{(z - ai)^2} dz [/itex]​
    and , by applying the Cauchy theorem, we have
    [itex] Res \left[ f , z = ai \right] = \frac{1}{ 2 \pi i } \oint _{|z-ai| = \epsilon} \frac{1/(z+ai)^2}{(z - ai)^2} dz = \left. \frac{1}{1!} \frac{d}{dz} \left( \frac{1}{(z+ai)^2}\right) \right|_{z=ai} = \frac{1}{4a^3 i} [/itex]​
    the first one
    [itex]Res [ f , z = - ai] = \frac{1}{ 2 \pi i } \oint _{|z + ai| = \epsilon} \frac{z^2/(z-ai)}{(z+ai)} dz = \left. \left( \frac{z^2}{(z-ai)^2}\right) \right|_{z=-ai} = \frac{a}{2i} [/itex]​
    In fact, there're so many way to defeat these problems in textbook of complex analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook