What is the resistivity of paper?

• Thread starter TicTac2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, zapper is looking for a figure to approximate the resistivity of paper. The resistivity of paper is a constant and is measured in Ohm Metres. A figure that looks like 1.xxx x10-x would be more than sufficient.
TicTac2
Hi all,

New here - have a Physics project and need to find a figure for the resitivity of standard writing paper.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find a "figure" for the resistivity of paper? What KIND of a figure?

Zz.

I'd start by finding the very thinnest possible leaf of paper, and sandwiching it between two electrodes with very great surface area. Any idea why?

sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

Zapper - We were told for research we needed to find an approximate value for the resistivity of paper so we can compare results from an experiment we are doing to the actual values...

It is a bit confusing. I imagine it will be a fairly high value?

Hello,

What we have to do is design an experiment to find the resistivity of paper, easy enough.

But to check our results we need to find the "official" value of what the resistivity of paper is.

(The resisitivity is a constant and measured in Ohm Metres, Zapper)

For example the resistivity of copper Copper 1.72 × 10-8 Ωm.

I would imagine paper, as a fairly poor condutcor, would have a larger resistivity, but we don't know what...

Any ideas?

putting a paper in between electrodes?
I remember my high school physics teacher doing this demo a while back and he ended up with a burning paper. :smile:

TicTac2 said:
sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

Zapper - We were told for research we needed to find an approximate value for the resistivity of paper so we can compare results from an experiment we are doing to the actual values...

It is a bit confusing. I imagine it will be a fairly high value?

So by asking about a "figure", you mean you want a value, rather than a graph of some kind (what is normally referred to as a "figure")? Very confusing.

What is wrong with just measuring it? It's not going to be easy because you probably need to use a rather thin strip of paper and a rather large potential difference to be able to detect any noticable current using standard lab equipment. Then you need to make an estimate of the cross-sectional area of that paper strip to be able to find the approximate resistivity.

Good luck!

Zz.

tim_lou said:
putting a paper in between electrodes?
I remember my high school physics teacher doing this demo a while back and he ended up with a burning paper. :smile:
Wouldn't that mean it has low resisitivity?

( :O is this a word: resitivititional, Five i's!)

Major_Disaster said:
(The resisitivity is a constant and measured in Ohm Metres, Zapper)

Yes, I'm fully aware what "resistivity" means. I've measured it in myself in layered materials using the 4-point technique. I was asking for what "figure" that was being asked in the OP, if you notice.

Zz.

:shy:

All we want is the numerical value / number / summin that looks like 1.xxx x10-x

:smile:

An order of magnitude value will be more than sufficient. Different types of paper will have different resistivities, try a google search.

1. What is the definition of resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ωm).

2. How is the resistivity of paper measured?

The resistivity of paper is typically measured using a four-point probe method. This involves passing an electrical current through the paper and measuring the voltage drop across four points on the paper's surface. The resistivity can then be calculated using the dimensions of the paper and the measured voltage and current.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of paper?

The resistivity of paper can be affected by various factors such as moisture content, temperature, and the type of fibers used in the paper. Higher moisture content and lower temperatures can increase the conductivity of paper, resulting in a lower resistivity. Additionally, paper made from conductive fibers, such as carbon-based fibers, will have a lower resistivity compared to paper made from non-conductive fibers.

4. Why is the resistivity of paper important?

The resistivity of paper is important because it can impact the performance of electronic devices that contain paper as an insulating material. If the resistivity is too low, it can result in electrical interference or short circuits. On the other hand, if the resistivity is too high, it can lead to poor conductivity and affect the efficiency of the device.

5. How can the resistivity of paper be controlled?

The resistivity of paper can be controlled by adjusting the factors that affect it, such as the moisture content and temperature during production. Additionally, using different types of fibers or adding conductive materials to the paper can also help control its resistivity. Testing and monitoring the resistivity throughout the production process can also ensure that the paper meets the desired specifications for its intended use.