How Does Resistance Change with Different Metals and Dimensions?

In summary, the rectangular cross section of a 3.74 m long aluminum bar has a resistance of 3.59*10^-7 ohms.
sonrie
An aluminum bar 3.74 m long has a rectangular cross section 1.11 cm by 5.30 cm.

What is the resistance ?

R = ____ ohms

What is the length of a copper wire 1.53 mm in diameter having the same resistance?

L= ____ m.

Physics news on Phys.org
The things you need are:
A formula for finding the resistance when you know the resistivity of a metal and its geometric shape.
A table that lists the resistivity values for aluminum and other metals.

please! answer me! i have 1 problem.
A No.10 copper wire will sofly carry up to 30 Amperesof current.If the copper wire is to be replaced by an aluminium wire and the only availiable guages of aluminium wire in stock are Nos; 8,10,12,and 14 which one would be able to carry 30 A safely? Explain how you made your choice and which data you referred to.

well the formula is R= p L/A, so i plugged in the numbers which were p = 2.82*10^-8, L was 3.74 and the Area is pi r^2 my answer was 9.71 *10^-6, which is incorrect. What did i do wrong? Help!

For area i did 1.11*5.30= 5.88^2 =.034, then i multiplied by pi =1.08*^2.

sonrie, your formula Area = pi r^2 looks odd. Do you know what the "r" stands for? What is the area of a rectangle?

p.s. also, watch those units. I am seeing m, cm, and mm all being used, so we need to be careful with that.

Last edited:
the r stands for the resistance, p is the resistivity, L is the length of the wire and A is the Area.

r does not mean resistance in the "Area = pi r^2" formula. But that is irrelevant to getting the resistance of the rectangular wire, so let's drop it and try to get back on track.

We have the formula:
R= p L/A

Earlier you gave values for p and L which look good. We just need the correct value for area A.

Do you know how to find the area of a rectangle? Earlier you said
For area i did 1.11*5.30= 5.88^2 =.034, then i multiplied by pi =1.08*^2
This statement was wrought with errors. The area of a rectangle is a simple multiplication, and it does not involve pi.

Area = .5 B*H, which is .5*1.11*5.30 = 2.94 Is that correct ?

So then my final equation should look like

R= 2.82*10^-8 3.74/2.94 = 3.59*10^-7 Is that what you got?

I'm going to give up now, as it appears you are deliberately doing this wrong in order to engage a response from people.

My apologies if I am mistaken. Good bye.

Hmm, I don't think you can jump to that conclusion..

astrorob said:
Hmm, I don't think you can jump to that conclusion..

Here is the evidence. These are all things sonrie has claimed in this thread:

1. The area of a rectangular cross section is given by the formula Area = pi r^2

2. In the above formula, the "r" is resistance.

3. 1.11*5.30= 5.88^2 =.034

4. The area of a rectangle is given by 0.5 B H

People can draw their own conclusions, just as I have done.

I've dealt with people who struggle quite badly with physics and mathematics and you'd be surprised what people come out with.. They just throw formulas that they've heard around until they hit the correct one without understanding the mechanism behind them.

What you may think as unimaginably easy might not be so to someone less gifted.

So my answer is wrong!

I'll acknowledge that I am not 100% certain, and will not be "reporting" him. But I am certain enough to not spend more of my time trying to help this person.

He is still welcome to enlist the help of other members if he is in earnest.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. It can be expressed mathematically as I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.

What factors affect resistance?

Resistance is affected by several factors, including the type of material, length of the conductor, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with high resistivity, longer conductors, smaller cross-sectional areas, and higher temperatures will have higher resistance.

How is resistance measured?

Resistance can be measured using a multimeter, which sends a small current through the component and measures the voltage drop across it. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I). It can also be measured using an ohmmeter, which applies a known voltage and measures the resulting current.

What is the relationship between resistance and power?

There is a direct relationship between resistance and power. As resistance increases, power decreases and vice versa. This is because power is equal to the square of the current multiplied by the resistance (P = I²R). Therefore, as resistance increases, the current decreases and the power decreases as a result.