Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance and Phasors?

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Resistance and Phasors???

Hi Im a Mechanical engineer but Im taking a module in electrical, which isnt my strong point. Please can someone explain the differnce between bilateral and unilateral resistance and what is a good website to help me understand phasors and sinusoidal quantities.
    Thanks x
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Probably wikipedia.org has some info on phasors. I'm not familiar with the terms bilateral and unilateral resistance. Can you provide some context for those terms?
  4. Dec 7, 2006 #3
  5. Dec 8, 2006 #4

You can define a resistor as a device in which voltage and current are related to each other at any instant. The relationship is called the characteristic of the resistor.
    By this definition, an ohmic resistor, a diode or a voltage source can all be considered resistors.
    A bilateral resistor is one whose characteristic curve is symmetrical in relation to the origin. An ohmic resistor is bilateral, a diode is not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?