1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance and Phasors?

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Resistance and Phasors???

Hi Im a Mechanical engineer but Im taking a module in electrical, which isnt my strong point. Please can someone explain the differnce between bilateral and unilateral resistance and what is a good website to help me understand phasors and sinusoidal quantities.
    Thanks x

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Probably wikipedia.org has some info on phasors. I'm not familiar with the terms bilateral and unilateral resistance. Can you provide some context for those terms?

4. Dec 7, 2006 #3
  5. Dec 8, 2006 #4

SGT

You can define a resistor as a device in which voltage and current are related to each other at any instant. The relationship is called the characteristic of the resistor.
    By this definition, an ohmic resistor, a diode or a voltage source can all be considered resistors.
    A bilateral resistor is one whose characteristic curve is symmetrical in relation to the origin. An ohmic resistor is bilateral, a diode is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?