1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance, Capacitance,

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    this seems to be a simple question
    for the diagram at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/biggm/ohm.jpg

a)the circuit has been connected a long time...what is the voltage across the capacitor?

this one i calculated and got the right answer of 6V.

b)if the battery is disconnected how long does it take to discharge the capacitor to 1/10 of its initial voltage.

i have the equation t=-RC ln (q/Q)

where R= resistance, C=capacitance, q= final charge and Q=initial charge, i have calculated the initial and final charges using q=CV and final voltage of 3/5V. Capacitance is given...what value do i use for resistance?
    i can see given the answer that it should be 18/5...which is the product of the initial and final voltage although this could be coincidental....any help here??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

With the voltage source removed and the capacity supplying the voltage, which capacitors are in series?

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    the 1ohm and 4 ohm are in series, and the 8ohm and 2ohm are in series.
    do i just add these as in series and then....if i add them together as two then in parallel it does not work out...

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The 1 and 4 ohm resistors are in series and the 1 and 8 ohm resistors are with respect to the 10V source.

However when 10V source is removed and the capacitor provides the potential difference, resistors 4 and 2 ohm are then in series and resistors 1 and 8 ohm are in series.

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5
    ah thanks for that tip...it works out now but i fail to see how the 4 and 2 combination and the 1 and 8 ohm combination are in series when the potential is removed.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  7. Nov 24, 2005 #6

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Some quick photoshopping reveals

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?