1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Resistance from a V-time graph

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 50 uF(microfarad) capacitor that had been charged to 30 V is discharged through a resistor. Figure 31.73 (attachment) shows the capacitor voltage as a function of time. What is the value of the resistance?

2. Relevant equations

Q = Qo e^(-t/RC), o = initial

Qo = CV, o = initial

I = Io e^(-t/RC), o = initial

3. The attempt at a solution

Original V = 30, the final V at 3ms is approximately 7V. Thus the final charge is 0.233 (7/30) of the initial charge.

Q = Qo e^(-t/RC)
    ln (7/30) = -3/(R)(50 uF)

R = 0.041 ohms

The right answer is 36.4 ohms.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. [tex]R = \frac {-t}{\ln\frac{V}{Vo}C}[/tex]. However that gives me 41.22 ohm so maybe there's a typo in the problem?

edit: added latex
    edit2: actually you didn't solve for 1/R like I first thought, you're just off by 3 orders of magnitude because you probably forgot to convert the milliseconds to seconds.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. does anyone have an idea?

5. Well you estimated the 7V at 3ms since apparently all you had to go by was that graph. If you plug in 36.4 ohms as the resistance into the equation you get something like 5.8V which makes sense. Kind of a lame question if they don't give exact values.

6. thanks!

7. Don't estimate - you can see exactly what V is at 2ms. R is constant.

V = V_0 * e^(-t/RC)

Solve for R an input data from the graph where t=2ms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?