Resistance Moment: What is the Polar Variation?

In summary, in mechanics, the term "resistance moment" refers to the moment of inertia, which is denoted as "W" and has two directions, x and y. There is also a "polar" variation of this, which is the sum of the moments of inertia about two orthogonal axes, and is a measure of an object's resistance to torsional deformation. This "polar" variation can be seen in the equation for a circle, where W_x + W_y = W_z = 2*W_x = 2*W_y = 2*π/32*d^3 = π/16*d^3.
TSN79
In norwegian we use a term in statics/mechanics which directly translated means "resistance moment". It is denoted "W" and apparently has two directions x and y, usually written as indexes. For a circle we have
[tex]W_x=W_y=\frac{\pi}{32}d^3[/tex]
What I don't understand is that there is also talk about a "polar" variation of this, which for the circle is
[tex]W_x=W_y=\frac{\pi}{16}d^3[/tex]
Could someone explain to me what this "polar" variation is all about?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like to me you are referring to the moment of inertia. More specifically, the area moment of inertia (not to be confused with mass moment of inertia).

In two planes, X and Y, the corresponding moments of inertia are:

[tex] I_x = \int y^2 da [/tex] and

[tex] I_y = \int x^2 da [/tex]. Both are a measure of an object's geometry about an arbitrary set of orthogonal axis.

The polar moment of inertia is the same as the others, but is (using the same reference notation) about the Z axis. It is the sum of the other two moments of inertia:

[tex] I_z = I_x + I_y = \Int (x^2 + y^2) da [/tex]

So in your case, for the disc, [tex]W_x + W_y = W_z = 2*W_x = 2* W_y = 2*\frac{\pi}{32} d^3 = \frac{\pi}{16}d^3[/tex]

In mechanics, the moment of inertia is an indication of a plate or beam's resistance to deformation due to loading. In the same sense, the polar moment of inertia is an indication of an object's resistance to torsional deformation.

Last edited:
Ah, excellent! Thanks FredGarvin! o:)

Resistance moment. I think I wouldve remembered what the moment of inertia was sooner if it was called this here.

1. What is resistance moment?

Resistance moment, also known as the moment of resistance, is a measurement of the resistance of a material to bending or twisting forces. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is resistance moment calculated?

The resistance moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a material by the distance from the point of application to the point of resistance. This calculation takes into account the material's properties such as its cross-sectional area and elastic modulus.

3. What is polar variation?

Polar variation is the variation of the resistance moment around a central axis. It is typically represented by a polar moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to torsion or twisting. It takes into account both the cross-sectional area and the distance of the material from the central axis.

4. How does polar variation affect resistance moment?

Polar variation can greatly affect the resistance moment of a material. Materials with a higher polar moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to torsion, making them more suitable for applications where twisting forces are present. It is an important consideration in the design and selection of materials for structural components.

5. Why is understanding resistance moment and polar variation important?

Understanding resistance moment and polar variation is crucial for engineers and scientists working with structural materials. It allows them to accurately predict the behavior of materials under bending and twisting forces, and to select the most appropriate material for a given application. It is also important for ensuring the safety and reliability of structures, as materials with insufficient resistance moment can lead to failure and structural collapse.