How Does the Resistance of a Brick Change with Temperature?

• Thread starter blagadagadah!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary: If you can find a way to cut a smaller piece of the material maintaing some sort of a nice geometry for it it'll make the measurements easier. You won't need that big voltages and the heating times for high temp measurements will be lower. From the resistance of a smaller piece you can calculate the resistivity from that calculate the whole brick's resistance.That's good thinking Inha. :smile: I know very little about resistance (haven't studied this yet...:blushing:). How much electrical resistance does something develop when it is heated? How does it happen?Here's a pretty simple explanation:For metals the resistivity increases linearly with temperature at high (
Just a few quick comments - it's very likely that one will be able to use a voltmeter as an ammeter for this application.

If one has a 2volt full-scale voltmeter witha 10 megaohm input impedance, it can be considered to be a 200na current meter with a 10 megaohm series impedance. Usually 10 megs is too high a series impedance to be useful for a current meter, but this case seems likely to be an exception.

If the brick starts to conduct too well at high temepratures, the series impedance can be reduced by adding a paralllel resistor (which will degrade the senistivity of the current meter, but this won't be a problem if the current is high).

While it would be theoretically possible to convert an old TV set to yield a 20,000 volt DC power supply, I wouldn't recommend it. Aside from the safety issues, it will probably be difficult to measure voltages much over 1000 volts with standard equipment. I'd try to keep voltages under 1000 volts unless there was no other way to do the experiment. You'd only get a factor of 20 in sensitivity from going from 1000 v to 20kv anyway.

I would suggest a transformer and a full-wave bridge rectifier circuit for the high voltage power supply if a 1000 volt variable power supply is considered to be "not standard equipment". Several approaches exist for varying the voltage (variacs are one).

Procuring an actual brick and attempting to measure it's resistance or IV curve at room temperature would probably be a good way to get a handle on what's needed.

A good experimenter would measure several points on the voltage-current curve of the brick, to see how linear it was.

The art department would probably have some sort of kiln - whether or not they'd let you drill holes in it is another issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, so can someone give me an example of a diagram please! i beg you, coz its in for 2moro morning, adn an list of all the apparatus thanks

what do you think there should be in the diagram? I think a lot of the details have been discussed here already. Give us your idea and let's then see if there's something to add or fix. it's way more instructive that way.

hi this is my idea

apparatus: digital voltmeter, ammeter, kiln, brick, thermocouple, copper wires, insulator, clamps

method
heat the brick in the kiln setting the temperature to about 100 degrees as a starting temperature of the expt.
set the apparatus while the brick is heated
after some time remove the brick from the kiln and measure the temperature of the brick with thermocouple
clamp the brick
close the switch n measure the current in ammeter n voltage in voltmeter
repeat the same procedure increasin the temperture by 100 degrees
note upto 8 readings
plot a graph to compare the results

the diagram should have eht, switch, ammeter, voltmeter parallel to the brick, brick clamped between the two copper plates n copper wires attached.

------ switch------e h t----------
i i
i i
i i
i i (i
ammeter i i copper wires
i i i
i i i)
i---plates brick clampped plates---i
i i
i i
i i
i i
i---------voltmeter-----------i

should b something like this m not sure

well tried drawing the diagram but got messed up! sorry

continuous measurement would be more practical and accurate. if you could think up of a way to measure the temp and voltage simultaneously with no breaks in the heating you would get better results.

hi!
im doing the same plan, could anyone show me how am i going to explain what you all said in form of a diagram, how to set up the apparatus maybe? and one more thing how would you heat up the brick? pls. i need to finish this by friday.

it is probably a good idea to heat it up to about 850 degrees first and take measurements as it cools

i'm doing this plan too and it's for tomrrow lol

This is the procedure i though of :P

Firstly...i was thinking that u could use a High Tension Power supply (HTP) or a Extra High tension Power Supply (EHTP). That hsould be able to provide u with a large enough voltage to find the resistance.

Secondly you could use a thermocouple to measure the temperature, a thermometer won't do as it would burst. However a thermocouple can measure temperatures in excess of 800oC. Depends what u use.

As for a ammeter to measure the current, you could use a milliammeter as the current produced would be very small. Therefore a milliammeter would be able to measure the current.

The brick must be kept at a constant temperature each time it is increased and must be kept at the same temperature all over, therefore a kiln could be used. In a kiln the brick would be warmed evenly all over.

There you have it! :rolleyes: lol, reply.