Resistance of a Composite Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resistance of a transmission wire made of a copper core and a steel sheath. The correct approach is to calculate the resistance of each layer separately and then combine them using the formula for resistors in parallel. The discrepancy in the calculated resistance was due to a mistake in calculating the cross-sectional area of the steel sheath.
SeannyBoi71

Homework Statement

A transmission wire is made of a cylindrical core of copper surrounded by a sheath of steel. The copper core is 1 cm in diameter, and the sheath has an outer diameter of 2 cm. What is the resistance of 1 km of wire?

Homework Equations

R=ρl/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried treating the two layers of wire as resistors in parallel, so I found the resistance of each one and added them that way (R-1=R1-1+R2-1). For the area of the outer sheath, I used the area of the total wire minus the area of the inner copper part.

Resistance of copper = (1.72e-8 * 1000) / 7.85e-5 = 0.219 ohm
Area of steel part: 7.07e-4 - 7.85e-5 = 6.28e-4 m2
Resistance of steel = (29e-8 * 1000) / 6.28e-4 = 0.46 ohm

Equivalent resistance = (Rcopper-1 + Rsteel-1)-1 = 0.15. But the answer key says it's 0.19. I tried to keep as many decimal places all the way through, and used values for resistivity straight out of the textbook. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have mis-calculated the cross sectional area of the steel.
The outside diameter of the steel is 2cm and the inside diameter is 1cm
I got the area to be 3.142 x 10^-4 - 7.86 x 10^-5
This gave a total resistance of 0.186 (0.19)

Alright, I see how you did that. but how come you used 1 (half of 2) instead of 1.5 (half of 3, total diameter of the wire) for the first radius?

The wire has a central core of diameter 1cm. The steel coating has a diameter of 2cm...it is not 3cm.
Imagine a Doughnut... the hole in the middle is the copper (1cm diameter) the best bit of the doughnut is the steel... diameter 2cm

Oh ok silly mistake on my part. Thank you very much.

glad you got it... enjoy the doughnut

1. What is a composite wire?

A composite wire is a combination of two or more different materials that are bonded together to form a single wire. This allows for different properties, such as electrical conductivity and strength, to be combined into one wire.

2. How is the resistance of a composite wire calculated?

The resistance of a composite wire is calculated using the formula R = ρl/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. For a composite wire, the values for ρ and A are determined based on the properties of the individual materials in the wire.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a composite wire?

The resistance of a composite wire can be affected by several factors, including the resistivity of the materials used, the length and diameter of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. Additionally, the way in which the materials are bonded together can also affect the overall resistance of the wire.

4. How does the resistance of a composite wire compare to that of a single material wire?

The resistance of a composite wire will depend on the properties and proportions of the materials used. In some cases, it may be higher or lower than that of a single material wire. For example, if a highly conductive material is combined with a less conductive material, the overall resistance may be lower than that of a single material wire.

5. What are some practical applications of a composite wire with varying resistances?

Composite wires with varying resistances can be used in a variety of applications. For example, in electronics, wires with different resistances can be used to control the flow of electricity and create circuits. In engineering, composite wires with varying resistances can be used in structural components to improve strength and conductivity. They can also be used in sensors and other devices that require precise control of electrical resistance.