Determining Resistance of a Copper Wire Without Knowing Its Resistivity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance of a material without knowing its resistivity. It is suggested that one can look up the resistivity online or use dimensional analysis to show that this information is necessary.
Archimedess
Homework Statement
A copper wire has an internal diameter ##d_1## of ##10## ##cm## and an external diameter ##d_2## of 20 ##cm##. If the wire is ##20m## long what is the resistance of the wire?
Relevant Equations
##R=\rho\frac{l}{\Sigma}##
What i did is: ##R=\rho\frac{l}{\Sigma}=\rho\frac{l}{d_2^2\pi-d_1^2\pi}##

The problem is that I don't have ##\rho##. Is there a way to find ##R## without knowing it?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Archimedess said:
The problem is that I don't have ρρ\rho. Is there a way to find RRR without knowing it?
If you know the material, you can look it up

willem2 said:

This is from a past exam of my course (we can't use any table during exam), a friend of mine says that you don't need it and you can find it anyway.. I doubt it.

willem2 said:
Indeed. In real life, problems do not come with all the input data that is required to solve them. In fact, half the work of problem solving (if not more) is identifying the input needed and looking for a way of obtaining this information. In the case of finding the resistivity of Cu, a quick Google search should suffice if you do not have a table of material properties readily at hand (the Google search may be quicker anyway).

Archimedess said:
This is from a past exam of my course (we can't use any table during exam), a friend of mine says that you don't need it and you can find it anyway.. I doubt it.
You can easily show that quantities of dimension length are not sufficient to determine resistance by using dimensional analysis. Using lengths only it is impossible to build a quantity that has the correct physical dimension.

What is the resistance of a copper wire?

The resistance of a copper wire depends on its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. It can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I).

How does the length of a copper wire affect its resistance?

The longer the copper wire, the higher its resistance. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there are between electrons and the wire's atoms, resulting in a higher resistance to the flow of electricity.

How does the cross-sectional area of a copper wire affect its resistance?

The larger the cross-sectional area of a copper wire, the lower its resistance. This is because a larger area allows for more electrons to flow through, reducing the number of collisions between electrons and atoms and therefore decreasing resistance.

How does temperature affect the resistance of a copper wire?

The resistance of a copper wire increases as the temperature increases. This is due to the fact that as temperature increases, the atoms in the wire vibrate more, making it harder for electrons to flow through, resulting in a higher resistance.

Why is copper commonly used for electrical wiring?

Copper is commonly used for electrical wiring because it has a low resistance, is highly conductive, and is relatively inexpensive. It also has good corrosion resistance and is malleable, making it easy to work with and shape into wires.