Resistance of a odd shaped conductor

In summary, the student is not sure how to get started on this problem, and is looking for help. They found an expression for the current density and electric field, but are not sure how to find V.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2536/physicsme1.th.png

Homework Equations

[tex] I = \int \int J . dS [/tex]
[tex] V = - \int E . dl[/tex]
[tex] V = IR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to get started on this problem, generally I would start with Laplace's equation but due to its irregular shape, I don't think that I can use that for this situation.
J is a function the length of the shape, but not sure how to formulate it into something useful
Does anyone know how I can get started on this?

[tex]I(z) = \int_0^h \int_0^{2\pi} \mathbf{J}(z) z d\phi dz[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jesuslovesu,

Here are a couple of points that may help.

The resistance of an object is R=V/I. Here you can assume that there is a constant current coming in one side of the resistor and leaving the other (and they must be the same-do you see why?) So if you can find the potential difference across the resistor that gives that current you'll be done.

The resistivity relates the current density and the electric field by

[tex]
\vec J = \frac{\vec E}{\rho}
[/tex]

You say you found an expression for [itex]\vec J[/itex]. How can you then find V?

Hey thanks for your reply, I've almost got it but I can't seem to quite get the last part.

So I say that [tex]J(z) = \frac{I}{\pi r^2}[/tex]
[tex]V = - \int_0^h \frac{I dz}{\sigma \pi r^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{I*h/(\sigma \pi r^2)}{I} = \frac{h}{\sigma \pi r^2}[/tex]
I've almost got it but I don't quite know what to do with the 'r', I am not positive if my integral is correct since J is a function of z

I would have approached it differently, but either way should be valid. I would have started with the equation for the resistance of a fixed-area element:

[tex]R_i = \frac{\rho L}{A}[/tex]

and integrated circular cross-sections of the conic section. Maybe give that approach a try...

r is a function of z. You have r(0) = a and r(h) = b

1. What is the resistance of an odd shaped conductor?

The resistance of an odd shaped conductor depends on various factors, including the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the conductor. It cannot be determined solely based on the shape of the conductor.

2. How does the shape of a conductor affect its resistance?

The shape of a conductor can affect its resistance by altering its cross-sectional area, which in turn affects the flow of current through the conductor. A smaller cross-sectional area will result in higher resistance, while a larger cross-sectional area will result in lower resistance.

3. Can an odd shaped conductor have a constant resistance?

Yes, an odd shaped conductor can have a constant resistance if its length, cross-sectional area, and material remain unchanged. However, it is more common for the resistance of an odd shaped conductor to vary due to changes in these factors.

4. How can the resistance of an odd shaped conductor be calculated?

The resistance of an odd shaped conductor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. The resistance can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the conductor, and A is the cross-sectional area.

5. How can the resistance of an odd shaped conductor be reduced?

The resistance of an odd shaped conductor can be reduced by increasing its cross-sectional area, using a material with lower resistivity, or by shortening its length. Additionally, using thicker wires or multiple parallel conductors can also decrease the overall resistance of an odd shaped conductor.