1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of a sphere of resistivity rho and radius S

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    I calculated the resistance between two points (P and Q) on a sphere that are located on the two ends of a diameter by dividing the sphere into thin strips of thickness dz that are in series perpendicular to the line PQ (say the z-axis). I can get an expression for the indefinite integral in theta (the polar angle theta, z = S Cos (theta), and S= radius), however I run into problem when evaluating this definite integral for theta = 0 to pi. Apparently the fact that the strip element becomes a points at the ends is causing this problem. I use dR=rho * dl/A with dl = -S Sin(theta) d(theta) and A(theta) = pi {S Sin(theta)}^2. What is going wrong here? Because I know that there must be a finite resistance between two such points.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    I need help!

I'm a spanish coach from Barcelona and I have a problem.

I need some information about "curve fenomenon" in velodrom cycling. When a cyclist go into a curve power is less than in straight and velocity is high to a straight. Please do you explain this fenomenon?.

My e-mail is ardcarlos@hotmail.com

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?