Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of an element

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    Hi All,

I have this clarification, if I have a resistor element of any value and if the physical length of the resistor is say L. Does the resistance of the element increases from 0 at the beginning to R at the end of the resistive element that is L, or it is the average, or it is located at one point, could somebody please explain me this? Similarly if a current I is flowing through the resistive element the voltage drop say Vr keeps increasing from 0 to the Vr at the end of the element or how it is?

Thanks in advance,
    regards,
    Satya

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

It depends on the resistor, but if the resistance material is uniform, then this is true:

if I have a resistor element of any value and if the physical length of the resistor is say L. Does the resistance of the element increases from 0 at the beginning to R at the end of the resistive element that is L,

Wire wound resistors are similar, but the resistance increases in steps as you go from turn to turn. If you followed the wire all the way around the resistor, then the resistance increases as you go from one end to the other.

There are potentiometers of both types which allow you to connect to various ponts on a resistor and gradually change the resistance or the ratio of resistances..

4. May 18, 2012 #3
    So can I say that a voltage drop across a resistor (by passing a current) is the sum of the small voltage drops within the resistor ?

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Satya

5. May 18, 2012 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Yes, you could say that.

The small parts of a resistor are just like having a lot of small resistors in series, so you could regard each of them as producing a small voltage due to the current flowing in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook