Resistance of Cylindrical Conductor

In summary: The resistance between points is undefined since the total current through a point for any given current density will be zero.
aaas

Homework Statement

A circular disk of radius r and thickness d is made of material with resistivity p . Show that the resistance between points a and b (Fig. attached)is independent of r and is given by R=πp /2d

Homework Equations

R= p L / A
where L and A are length and section area respectively .

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use differential equations , but I always end up with ∞ or some indeterminate forms .

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    2 KB · Views: 1,017
Physics news on Phys.org
i think there is a mistake in this question . the resistance dependent of r .

m.medhat said:
i think there is a mistake in this question . the resistance dependent of r .

Maybe !
But it is taken from serway's book .
The trick here is that the current direction is perpendicular on the cylinder axis !

aaas said:
I tried to use differential equations , but I always end up with ∞ or some indeterminate forms .

I don't know what to tell you. The resistance of any point origin of current working into a volume is infinite.

Perhaps you've misinterpreted the problem and the current originates from a line segment along the thickness of the disk.

Phrak said:
The resistance of any point origin of current working into a volume is infinite.

I have no idea what you mean here. The resistance between two points in a solid is usually well defined.

aaas said:

Homework Statement

A circular disk of radius r and thickness d is made of material with resistivity p . Show that the resistance between points a and b (Fig. attached)is independent of r and is given by R=πp /2d

Homework Equations

R= p L / A
where L and A are length and section area respectively .

The Attempt at a Solution

There's no need for any DEs here. Draw a straight line connecting your two points...its length is what you use as "L" in your relevant equation. The cross-section perpendicular to this line segment changes as move along the line, so you will need to divide the line into infinitesimal pieces, express the cross-section for each piece and integrate [itex]dR=\rho \frac{dL}{A}[/itex] over the entire line. I suggest you use cylindrical polar coordinates for the integration.

gabbagabbahey said:
I have no idea what you mean here. The resistance between two points in a solid is usually well defined.

It isn't.

A hollow ball of volumentric resistivity rho has source and sink on its inner and outer surfaces.
inner radius = r1 and outer radius = r2.

[tex]R = \frac{\rho}{4\pi}\left( \frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{1}{r_2} \right)[/tex]

Clearly, any other solid angle of current flux will encounter greater resistance.

As [tex]r_1 \rightarrow 0[/tex] resistance tends to infinity.

All resistance through a volume from ideal point sources or sinks is undefined.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
It isn't.

A hollow ball of volumentric resistivity rho has source and sink on its inner and outer surfaces.
inner radius = r1 and outer radius = r2.

[tex]R = \frac{\rho}{4\pi}\left( \frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{1}{r_2} \right)[/tex]

Clearly, any other solid angle of current flux will encounter greater resistance.

As [tex]r_1 \rightarrow 0[/tex] resistance tends to infinity.

Taking the limit as [itex]r_1\to\infty[/itex] makes no sense whatsoever...there would be no source. Instead, consider a solid sphere with a diametrically opposed source and sink of finite solid angle and take the limit as the solid angle approaches zero.

All resistance through a volume from ideal point sources or sinks is undefined.

I don't understand why you think this...if you have a very thin superconducting wire connected to an ohmmeter and across a solid resistor/conductor, would you really expect to measure infinite resistance?:confused:

gabbagabbahey said:
Taking the limit as [itex]r_1\to\infty[/itex] makes no sense whatsoever...there would be no source.

That's [itex]r_1\to 0[/itex], of course. This is exactly as the problem is presented and therefore it makes sense to say the resistance is undefined.

Instead, consider a solid sphere with a diametrically opposed source and sink of finite solid angle and take the limit as the solid angle approaches zero.

I don't understand why you think this...if you have a very thin superconducting wire connected to an ohmmeter and across a solid resistor/conductor, would you really expect to measure infinite resistance?:confused:

In the real world ohmmeter probes are not mathematical points. But the contact area has everything to do with measured resistance of bulk measurements--unless you are talking to an EE, who are generally clueless.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
That's [itex]r_1\to 0[/itex], of course. This is exactly as the problem is presented and therefore it makes sense to say the resistance is undefined.

My apologies, I was thinking of voltage for some reason.

Of course, the resistance between points is undefined since the total current through a point for any given current density will be zero.

Anyways, @aaas I'm sure you are meant to calculate the resistance between the two diametrically opposed line segments (of length "d"), and for that just use the method I described in my second post.

gabbagabbahey said:
My apologies, I was thinking of voltage for some reason.

Of course, the resistance between points is undefined since the total current through a point for any given current density will be zero.

Anyways, @aaas I'm sure you are meant to calculate the resistance between the two diametrically opposed line segments (of length "d"), and for that just use the method I described in my second post.

And the answer will be rubbish. This sort of homework problem really bothers me. Some typical students will come up with the acceptable wrong answer, as given, through gross oversimplification. The smarter students will be well aware that the current will not flow in parallel lines and fail to obtain a result requiring a numerical solution to a multivariable, nonanalytic differential equation.

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Draw a straight line connecting your two points...its length is what you use as "L" in your relevant equation. The cross-section perpendicular to this line segment changes as move along the line, so you will need to divide the line into infinitesimal pieces, express the cross-section for each piece and integrate over the entire line. I suggest you use cylindrical polar coordinates for the integration.

Actually , this what I exactly did . but as the variable must be in the denominator the resulting integral will include In 0 which is not defined (approach to minus infinity )

aaas said:
Actually , this what I exactly did . but as the variable must be in the denominator the resulting integral will include In 0 which is not defined (approach to minus infinity )

YOu shouldn't be getting any natural logarithms...why don't you show your calculations?

I divide the line into infinitesimal pieces
[itex]
dR=\rho \frac{dL}{A}
[/itex]
[itex]
dR=\rho \frac{dx}{2\pi (R-X) d}
[/itex]
[itex]
R = 2 \int \rho \frac{dx}{2\pi (R-x) d} , integrate for x from 0 to R
[/itex]

Your crossectional area is incorrect. Draw a picture.

gabbagabbahey said:
Your crossectional area is incorrect. Draw a picture.

Isn't the cross sectional area is the surface area of dashed line circle ?

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 791
No, the cross-section should be orthogonal to "dx", and will look like a rectangle with height "d"...what is its width at any given value of x?

The length of a chord if you know the radius and the perpendicular distance from the chord to the circle center. This is a simple application of Pythagoras' Theorem.

[tex]
w= 2 \sqrt{(r-x)^2 - r^2} \\
[\tex]
where
r is the radius of the circle
r-x is the perpendicular distance from the chord to the circle center

Last edited:
You have a sign error, it should be [tex]w=2\sqrt{r^2-(r-x)^2}[/itex]...anyways, that looks good. Now, in order to make the integration easiest, try the substitution [itex]x=r(1-\cos\theta)[/itex] (which is exactly what you would have had if you'd set the problem up in cylindrical polars)

P.S. you need to use a "/" instead of "\" in your closing tex tag.

thanks very much :!)
I got the same answer now which means that my problem was in considering the cross sectional area as a circle .
But I am a little confused , If you look at this example (b) ( hollow cylinder ) we considered the cross sectional area as surface area of cylinder . what is the difference ?
The current flow in both problems faces the same cross sectional area !
so why they don't be the same in our calculations ?
Is that because the voltage is applied only between points A and B in previous problem ?

Attachments

• Picture12.png
    Picture12.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,033
The difference is that in example (b), the potential difference is applied to the ends of the cylinder, so the current flows down its length and the cross-section that is perpendicular to it is the circle/lamina.

In this problem however, the current flows from one side of the cylinder to the other (not lengthwise), and the cross-section perpendicular to it is rectangular.

Thank you very much , it is very clear now

I really want to know what is the exactly procedure, someone can explain me, how I can have the same answer πp/2d

1. What is the formula for calculating the resistance of a cylindrical conductor?

The formula for calculating the resistance of a cylindrical conductor is R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance in ohms, ρ (rho) is the resistivity of the material in ohm-meters, L is the length of the conductor in meters, and A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor in square meters.

2. How does the length of a cylindrical conductor affect its resistance?

The longer the cylindrical conductor, the higher its resistance will be. This is because resistance is directly proportional to length, meaning that as the length increases, so does the resistance. This is due to the fact that longer conductors offer more resistance to the flow of electricity compared to shorter ones.

3. How does the cross-sectional area of a cylindrical conductor affect its resistance?

The larger the cross-sectional area of a cylindrical conductor, the lower its resistance will be. This is because resistance is inversely proportional to area, meaning that as the area increases, the resistance decreases. This is because a larger area allows for more current to flow through the conductor, reducing the resistance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the resistance of a cylindrical conductor?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance, now known as Ohm's Law.

5. How does the resistivity of a material affect the resistance of a cylindrical conductor?

The resistivity of a material is a measure of its ability to resist the flow of electricity. The higher the resistivity, the higher the resistance of the cylindrical conductor will be. This is because materials with higher resistivity offer more resistance to the flow of electricity compared to those with lower resistivity.