Why Does Recalculating Resistance of Resistors Yield Different Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the resistance of a resistor using different materials. The original attempt at solving the problem was successful, but when revisiting it, the same answer could not be obtained. After reattempting with the correct values, the original answer was achieved. The conversation also includes the given problem and equations used in the solution.
Philip Wong
hi guys,
I know this sound strange but it did happen. I was working on a question asking about calculating the resistance of a resistors, using different material one is copper and another is aluminium. I got the right answer, and wrote down the formula and steps that I used. But then I only didn't put in the values that I actually used. Just formula, steps and answer. Now when I come back to look at it again, I couldn't get the same answer that I originally correct. Either could I back track how I did it, so I hope someone can point it out to me, how I did it in the first place, and did I do it right then.

Homework Statement

a 20mm long piece of copper wire (sigma = 5.8*10^7 (ohm.m)^-1) with a diameter of 0.01mm is used as a resistor. you want to design a resistor with the same resistance but the only wire avaiable to you is an aluminium wire (sigma = 3.4*10^7)ohm.m)^-1) with diameter 0.02 mm. calculate the length for the piece of aluminium wire for which the two resistances are the same

Homework Equations

R = pL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

the steps that I wrote down original listed below, and I haven't put in the fitted values then, but as I tries to put in all the values in again, I didn't get a consistence result.

Rcu = pL/A
= L/ (sigma* A)
= (L/sigma) (4/ pi d^2)
=4.39ohm

Values I used to reattempt to get answer:
L = 20mm = 0.02m
sigma = 5.8*10^7
d = (0.01*10-3) ^2

Rcu = (0.02/(5.8*10^7)) * (4/ (pi*(.01*10^-3)^2

Why...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Wong said:
hi guys,

Rcu = pL/A
= L/ (sigma* A)
= (L/sigma) (4/ pi d^2)
=4.39ohm

Values I used to reattempt to get answer:
L = 20mm = 0.02m
sigma = 5.8*10^7
d = (0.01*10-3) ^2

Rcu = (0.02/(5.8*10^7)) * (4/ (pi*(.01*10^-3)^2
Why...?

R = ρL/A

RCu = ρ(Cu)L1/A1 = ρ(Al)L2/A2 = R(Al)

Substitute the values and find L2

I think you must be plugging it into your calculator incorrectly. I just got the same answer you got originally.

vela said:
I think you must be plugging it into your calculator incorrectly. I just got the same answer you got originally.

ohh! indeed i have made a mistake at input my values. because I recalculated it everything, this time I've got a consistent answer.

ahaha! thanks

Hello,

It seems like there may have been a mistake in your calculations. When using the formula R = pL/A, it's important to make sure that all the units are consistent. In your original attempt, you used a length of 20mm and a diameter of 0.01mm, but in your second attempt, you used a length of 0.02m and a diameter of 0.01mm. This inconsistency in units could have led to an incorrect answer.

Additionally, when using the formula, it's important to remember that the units for resistivity (p) are ohm-meters, not ohm-millimeters. So in your second attempt, you would need to convert the diameter from millimeters to meters before using it in the formula. This could also have contributed to the difference in your results.

I would suggest double checking your units and using the correct values for resistivity and diameter in your calculations. Also, it's always a good idea to write out the units in your calculations to help catch any mistakes. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your calculations!

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current (R=V/I). It can also be calculated using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What factors affect the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its length, its cross-sectional area, and its temperature. Different materials have different resistivities, and longer or thinner resistors will have higher resistance. Additionally, as temperature increases, the resistance of a resistor will also increase.

How does resistance impact the flow of current?

Resistance limits the flow of current in a circuit. The higher the resistance, the lower the current will be. This is because resistance converts some of the electrical energy into heat, rather than allowing it to flow through the circuit.

How does the color coding on a resistor indicate its resistance?

The color coding on a resistor follows a standardized system where each color represents a specific number. By reading the color bands on a resistor, you can determine its resistance value. The first two bands represent the first two digits, the third band represents the number of zeros to add, and the fourth band represents the tolerance (accuracy) of the resistor.