1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of resistors

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    hi guys,
    I know this sound strange but it did happen. I was working on a question asking about calculating the resistance of a resistors, using different material one is copper and another is aluminium. I got the right answer, and wrote down the formula and steps that I used. But then I only didn't put in the values that I actually used. Just formula, steps and answer. Now when I come back to look at it again, I couldn't get the same answer that I originally correct. Either could I back track how I did it, so I hope someone can point it out to me, how I did it in the first place, and did I do it right then.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a 20mm long piece of copper wire (sigma = 5.8*10^7 (ohm.m)^-1) with a diameter of 0.01mm is used as a resistor. you want to design a resistor with the same resistance but the only wire avaiable to you is an aluminium wire (sigma = 3.4*10^7)ohm.m)^-1) with diameter 0.02 mm. calculate the length for the piece of aluminium wire for which the two resistances are the same

2. Relevant equations
    R = pL/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    the steps that I wrote down original listed below, and I haven't put in the fitted values then, but as I tries to put in all the values in again, I didn't get a consistence result.

Rcu = pL/A
    = L/ (sigma* A)
    = (L/sigma) (4/ pi d^2)

Values I used to reattempt to get answer:
    L = 20mm = 0.02m
    sigma = 5.8*10^7
    d = (0.01*10-3) ^2

Rcu = (0.02/(5.8*10^7)) * (4/ (pi*(.01*10^-3)^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

R = ρL/A

RCu = ρ(Cu)L1/A1 = ρ(Al)L2/A2 = R(Al)

Substitute the values and find L2
  4. Jun 12, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you must be plugging it into your calculator incorrectly. I just got the same answer you got originally.
  5. Jun 12, 2010 #4
    ohh! indeed i have made a mistake at input my values. because I recalculated it everything, this time I've got a consistent answer.

ahaha! thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook