Solve Resistance Problem: Parallel Resistors, Closed Switch & 1.2A Reading

• Thread starter prat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/R<sub>T</sub> = 1/R<sub>1</sub> + 1/R<sub>2</sub> + 1/R<sub>3</sub> + ..., the total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of individual branch currents (I<sub>T</sub> = I<sub>1</sub> + I<sub>2</sub> + I<sub>3</sub> + ...), a closed switch in a parallel circuit allows for the flow of current through all branches simultaneously, the reading of an ammeter is the same for all branches in a parallel circuit, and the
prat

Homework Statement

if there is a circuit in which switch is open and ammeter reading is 1.2A THERE ARE THREE RESISTORS PARALLEL WHO HAVE SAME RESISTANCE.WHAT WILL BE THE CURRENT WHEN THE SWITCH IS CLOSED

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you have any more information? Perhaps a diagram?

Also, show everyone what you have done so far.

When the switch is closed, the current will increase to 3.6A (1.2A for each parallel resistor). This is because when resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance decreases, allowing more current to flow through the circuit. In this case, the three resistors with the same resistance will have an equivalent resistance of 1/3 of the individual resistance, resulting in a higher current reading on the ammeter. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I=V/R) and the formula for equivalent resistance in parallel circuits (1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3). It is important to note that the voltage across each resistor will remain the same, as they are connected in parallel.

1. What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance (RT) can be calculated using the formula 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of the parallel branches.

2. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current (IT) is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents. This can be represented by the formula IT = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... where I1, I2, I3, etc. are the currents in each branch.

3. What is the purpose of a closed switch in a parallel circuit?

A closed switch in a parallel circuit allows for the flow of current through all branches simultaneously. This ensures that the total current remains constant while the individual branch currents may vary.

4. How does the reading of an ammeter change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the reading of an ammeter is the same for all branches. This is because the ammeter is placed in series with the branches and measures the total current flowing through the circuit.

5. What is the significance of the 1.2A reading in this problem?

The 1.2A reading represents the total current flowing through the parallel circuit. This value can be used to calculate the total resistance or to determine the individual branch currents using Ohm's law (I=V/R).