1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance question

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just want to know if the resistances are in parallel or series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The ends of the resistances are not connected to each other ( there are other circuit elements in between). So, thats why I dont think they are in parallel. But then again the current through R1 and R2 wont be equal would they? So what should Requivalent be?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem is asking about conditions at time t = 0+. Your first order of business should be to replace the reactive elements (capacitor, inductor) with their equivalent resistances at that instant. Then look at the circuit again.

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see any R1 and/or R2, but if you are talking about the 5ohm and 20ohm resistors, I can't imagine why you would think the current through them would be the same. Am I perhaps misunderstanding what you are saying?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted