Resistance Question: Series or Parallel?

• Thread starter Yammy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the question is about whether the resistances in the circuit are in parallel or series. The current through the resistors will not be equal due to other circuit elements present. The problem also involves replacing reactive elements with equivalent resistances at time t = 0+.
Yammy

Homework Statement

I just want to know if the resistances are in parallel or series.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The ends of the resistances are not connected to each other ( there are other circuit elements in between). So, that's why I don't think they are in parallel. But then again the current through R1 and R2 won't be equal would they? So what should Requivalent be?

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is asking about conditions at time t = 0+. Your first order of business should be to replace the reactive elements (capacitor, inductor) with their equivalent resistances at that instant. Then look at the circuit again.

I don't see any R1 and/or R2, but if you are talking about the 5ohm and 20ohm resistors, I can't imagine why you would think the current through them would be the same. Am I perhaps misunderstanding what you are saying?

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, forming a single path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, forming multiple paths for current to flow.

Which type of circuit has a higher overall resistance?

A series circuit has a higher overall resistance compared to a parallel circuit. This is because in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit can be calculated by adding up the individual resistances of each component. It is represented by the formula: R(total) = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit can be calculated by using the formula: 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... The reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of individual resistances.

Which type of circuit is used more commonly in everyday devices?

Parallel circuits are used more commonly in everyday devices. This is because they allow for independent functioning of components and if one component fails, the others can still continue working.