1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance-Temperature Sensor

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi:

I'm researching for a arduino sensor that measures resistance of a material depending on the temperature. I have also not found the word that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance-depending on temperature.

2. Relevant equations

1) Is there any type of sensor that measures resistance when the temperature changes?

2) What is the correct term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance depending on temperature?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found a sensor that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not one that measures resistance depending on the temperature. For example there is a sensor called resistance thermometer that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not the other way around.

I'm looking for the term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance dependent on temperature. For example ductility measures the ability of a material to deform under tensile load.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's called an Ohmmeter. :-)

4. Aug 23, 2014 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi pointer_physic. Welcome to Physics Forums.

As rude man stated, the type of meter used is generally called an ohmmeter. There are different setups depending upon the nature of the resistance (or resistivity) being measured.

There is what is called The Temperature Coefficient of Resistance, typically denoted by the variable ##\alpha## (which is pretty generically used for temperature coefficients). You can look this up online with a search engine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted