What Is the Correct Way to Calculate Resistance in This Circuit?

• Thread starter Lord Dark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem and the confusion over the correct answers. The problem involves finding the total resistance of the circuit and the conversation delves into different methods and approaches to solving the problem. The conversation concludes with the correct answers being provided and a clarification about the concept of closed circuits.
Lord Dark
Resistance in a circuit ,,

Homework Statement

Hi guys ,, I have the following picture

attachment.php?attachmentid=24434&stc=1&d=1268821144.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

OK ,, I know it's easy but my answer's is not like my teacher's answer :

for (a) I get 6.12 ohm and for (b) I get 2.4 ohm

but my teacher's answer is :

a. Rt=4+4+4=12 ohm
b. Rt= (8//4)+4= 6.667 ohm

what I don't get for :

a. how can he just add them together ,, it's not like they are in series and 2 of them are in parallel .. and I don't know why adding only 3 resistors only ?? there are 5 ~.~ ,,

b.how come 8//4 and there is a resistor between 4 & 4 ,, so don't we have to take a parallel (4//4) then add with 4 then parallel them with the upper resistor ??

so can someone simplify circuits please -_- ,, (I usually use current direction to know whether they are in parallel or series)

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about which wires in the circuit that would actually carry a current if you were to measure R_T by applying a voltage over the two left terminals. It may also help to redraw the diagram so you have the top-left terminal on the left and the bottom left terminal on the right.

aha ,, now I get it ,, so the arrow (Rt) in the diagram means where the voltage terminals are ,, I get it for (a) and (b) too ,, thanks very much filiplarsen ,, but question , if both circuits where closed my answers were right ??

If you by closed mean that the two terminals to the right are short-circuited, then I get
a) 4+(8//4)+4 = 10 2/3, and
b) 4//(4+(4//4)) = 4//6 = 2 2/5
So we have same result for b) but not a).

Lol,, got it :)

thanks very much m8

1. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component in a circuit opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the resistance (R) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R = V/I.

3. What factors affect resistance in a circuit?

Resistance can be affected by the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature of the conductor. Different materials have different levels of resistance, longer conductors have more resistance, and increasing temperature can increase resistance.

4. How does resistance impact a circuit?

Resistance can impact a circuit in several ways. It can decrease the flow of current, causing a decrease in voltage and potentially affecting the functioning of a circuit. It can also cause the circuit to generate heat, potentially leading to damage or failure of components.

5. How can resistance be reduced in a circuit?

Resistance can be reduced in a circuit by using conductors with lower resistance, such as copper, increasing the thickness of the conductor, and keeping the temperature of the conductor low. Additionally, using components such as resistors can help control the level of resistance in a circuit.