1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resisting Medium.

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    Question:
    When an object travels through a certain resisting medium the deceleration is proportional to the 4th of the velocity. This, a = -kv^4. Prove v = u(ktu^3 + 1)^1/3 and subsequently x = (1/2ku^2)((ktu^3 + 1)^2/3 - 1).
    v at time 0 = u and x at time 0 = 0.

Equations:
    Differentiation and integration.

Attempt at solution:
    I've proved the first part, for v. I keep getting (1/6ku)((ktu^3 + 1)^2/3 - 1) for c though. So, not too far out. It should just be a simple u substitution following on from the derivation of v. Could anyone walk through the second part? I have no clue where I'm making the mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

To make things easier to understand (as sometimes you might see 'u' to indicate a variable function for velocity)

ku^3 = A and u=B

So you have

v= dx/dt = B(At+1)1/3

To solve this you can use another substitution or apply the direct formula for

[tex]\int (ax+b)^n dx[/tex]

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    I see where I went wrong. Made a stupid blunder and differentiated the u^3 for some reason. Wasn't thinking. Thanks for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted