What is the Equation for Resistive Force and Speed in a Straight-Line Race?

In summary, we are considering an object with a resistive force that is proportional to the square of its speed. This can be seen in the example of a speed skater, where the resistive force is given by F=-k*m*V^2, with k as a constant and m as the skater's mass. After crossing the finish line with a speed of V(i), the skater slows down by coasting on his skates. We want to show that the skater's speed at any time after the finish line, denoted by Vf, is equal to Vf=Vi/(1+Vi*k*t). To do this, we can use the equation m dv/dt= kmV^2,
gaborfk
Consider an object which the net force is a resistive force proportional to the square of its speed. For example: assume that the resistive force acting on a speed skater is F=-k*m*V^2, where k is a constant and m is the skater's mass. The skater crosses the finish line of a straight-line race with speed V(i) and the slows down by coasting on his skates. Show that his speed at time "t", any time after the finish line is equal to Vf=Vi/(1+Vi*k*t).

I know that the masses cancel out and I get this m dv/dt= kmV^2 since "mass times acceleration equals force".

But now what? How does the Vi gets introduced?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't double post!

Sorry, I posted the first one in the wrong forum.

1. What is resistive force?

Resistive force is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can also be referred to as frictional force or drag force.

2. How is resistive force calculated?

Resistive force is calculated using the formula Fr = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect resistive force?

The factors that affect resistive force include the surface area of contact, the type of surface, the speed of the object, and the density of the medium through which the object is moving.

4. How can resistive force be reduced?

Resistive force can be reduced by using lubricants, reducing the surface area of contact, or by using streamlined shapes to minimize air resistance.

5. How does resistive force impact motion?

Resistive force can slow down or stop the motion of an object. It also requires the object to exert more force in order to maintain its motion, leading to a decrease in speed and an increase in energy consumption.