Resistive Force Homework: Find Work & Determine Conservatism

In summary: But if I were to make the 2.4N the negative force, and the 4.5 postive, i would get a +5130 J, so would the final answer be...Yes the final answer would be +5130 J.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

A bicyclist rides 7.8 km due east, while the resistive force from the air has a magnitude of 2.4 N and points due west. The rider then turns around and rides 5.3 km due west. The resistive force from the air on the return trip has a magnitude of 4.5 N and point due east.

a) Find the work done by the resistive force during the round trip.
_____ J
b) Based on your answer to part (a), is the resistive force a conservative force?
Yes
No

Homework Equations

W=F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

W1=2.4N*7800M = 18720 J
W2=4.5N*5300M = 23850 J

Total Work = W1+W2 = 42570 J

I know my setup is wrong, can someone give me some hints? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
JJones_86 said:

Homework Statement

A bicyclist rides 7.8 km due east, while the resistive force from the air has a magnitude of 2.4 N and points due west. The rider then turns around and rides 5.3 km due west. The resistive force from the air on the return trip has a magnitude of 4.5 N and point due east.

a) Find the work done by the resistive force during the round trip.
_____ J
b) Based on your answer to part (a), is the resistive force a conservative force?
Yes
No

Homework Equations

W=F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

W1=2.4N*7800M = 18720 J
W2=4.5N*5300M = 23850 J

Total Work = W1+W2 = 42570 J

I know my setup is wrong, can someone give me some hints? Thanks

Why do you think that is wrong? Work is the integral of the scalar product of force and displacement isn't it?

What about part b?

For part a, your setup is mostly not right. However, keep in mind that if a force is applied and the displacement is in the opposite direction, then that force is doing negative work. (I.E. if you lift something straight up, gravity is doing negative work)

LowlyPion said:
Why do you think that is wrong? Work is the integral of the scalar product of force and displacement isn't it?

What about part b?
Well I know its not right because I'm getting the wrong answer

Mattowander said:
For part a, your setup is mostly not right. However, keep in mind that if a force is applied and the displacement is in the opposite direction, then that force is doing negative work. (I.E. if you lift something straight up, gravity is doing negative work)
Ok, but am I using the right equations?

Yes you seem to be using the right equation. Check your sig figs if you're getting the wrong answer.

Mattowander said:
Yes you seem to be using the right equation. Check your sig figs if you're getting the wrong answer.
Ok so are you saying that my Forces should be negative since it's going in the opposite direction?

It depends on which direction you take to be negative. What I'm saying is that in both cases, the WORK done by the restrictive force must be negative because the direction of the restrictive forces is opposite the direction of displacement.

Mattowander said:
It depends on which direction you take to be negative. What I'm saying is that in both cases, the WORK done by the restrictive force must be negative because the direction of the restrictive forces is opposite the direction of displacement.

Is it possible to have a negative joule though?

W1=-2.4N*7800M = -18720 J
W2=-4.5N*5300M = -23850 J

Im sorry, I'm just really confused right now.

Mattowander said:
Yes it is possible to have a negative Joule.

Reference this thread for more information : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=53554

I hope that helps.

Ok, so my answer would be..

Total Work = W1+W2 = -42570 J?

The number is right. However, not both of the forces are negative.

If you define East to be positive, then the first 2.4N will be negative. However, the second force 4.5N is pointing East and so must also be positive. When the bike rider changes direction, he is first going towards a positive direction and then towards a negative direction. That is why the Work in either case is negative.

Mattowander said:
The number is right. However, not both of the forces are negative.

If you define East to be positive, then the first 2.4N will be negative. However, the second force 4.5N is pointing East and so must also be positive. When the bike rider changes direction, he is first going towards a positive direction and then towards a negative direction. That is why the Work in either case is negative.

Oh ok, i see

So it would be
W1=2.4N*7800M = 18720 J

Total Work = W1+W2 = -5130 J

But if I were to make the 2.4N the negative force, and the 4.5 postive, i would get a +5130 J, so would the final answer just be 5130 J, no matter the sign?

What I'm saying is that the forces are not always negative. The DISPLACEMENTS however can be negative. If you define East to be the positive x direction, then traveling west would mean your displacement is negative.

W2=4.5N*-5300M = -23850 J
Total Work = W1 + W2 = -42570J

You had the right answer before but you arrived at it using wrong assumptions. I just wanted to make sure you understand that whether or not the displacement or force is negative depends upon the direction it is in.

Mattowander said:
What I'm saying is that the forces are not always negative. The DISPLACEMENTS however can be negative. If you define East to be the positive x direction, then traveling west would mean your displacement is negative.

W2=4.5N*-5300M = -23850 J
Total Work = W1 + W2 = -42570J

You had the right answer before but you arrived at it using wrong assumptions. I just wanted to make sure you understand that whether or not the displacement or force is negative depends upon the direction it is in.

Ok, I feel dumb now, lol. So the answer is -42570J, so the answer to part B is No, right? Because conservative would mean the difference would be 0, correct?

Last edited:
Assuming that sig figs do not count then yes, both those answers seem correct.

Mattowander said:
Assuming that sig figs do not count then yes, both those answers seem correct.

Ok, thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

No problem, anytime.

I have the same problem with different numbers. The distance is 5.0 km and the resistive force is 3.0 N. I solved using the equation W=(Fd)2 and got 30,000 J, but I do not understand how to determine if the resistive force is a conservative force. Help?

1. What is resistive force?

Resistive force, also known as frictional force, is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces, which create resistance when they come into contact with each other.

2. How do you find work in a resistive force problem?

To find work in a resistive force problem, you need to use the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moves. However, since resistive force is always acting in the opposite direction of motion, the work done by resistive force is negative.

3. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

4. How do you determine if a system is conservative?

A system is considered conservative if the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant over time. This means that the work done by non-conservative forces, such as resistive force, is zero.

5. Can resistive force ever do positive work?

No, resistive force can never do positive work. By definition, it always acts in the opposite direction of motion, therefore, the work done by resistive force is always negative. This means that resistive force always takes energy away from a system, rather than adding energy to it.