Calculating Resistive Force on Styrofoam Dropping from 2.00m

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the styrofoam reached terminal velocity after falling .500m. The acceleration at terminal velocity was -bv, meaning mg was pulling the styrofoam down.
Gear300
I come back once more with a question:
So far, when it comes to resistive forces, I've only done resistance for slow moving objects in liquids and small particles through the air, along with larger objects going against heavier air resistance. This question refers to a smaller particle:

A small piece of styrofoam packing material is dropped from a height of 2.00m. Until it reaches terminal velocity (velocity when the net force is 0N), the acceleration is given as a = g - bv. After falling .500m, the styrofoam reaches terminal speed and takes 5.00s to reach the ground. I need to find the value of the constant b.

Thus far, resistance R = -bv and that mg (weight) is pulling the styrofoam down. That would imply ma = mg - bv, in which a = g - (b/m)v. Terminal velocity is when Vt = mg/b and is only approached, not reached, so the equation for v would be
v = Vt(1 - e^(-bt/m)). The question said that a = g - bv...so I would assume m = 1kg (a bit big for styrofoam)...or do I have to come up with another equation for this? and how would I incorporate displacement into the equations if the acceleration is not constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
I come back once more with a question:
So far, when it comes to resistive forces, I've only done resistance for slow moving objects in liquids and small particles through the air, along with larger objects going against heavier air resistance. This question refers to a smaller particle:

A small piece of styrofoam packing material is dropped from a height of 2.00m. Until it reaches terminal velocity (velocity when the net force is 0N), the acceleration is given as a = g - bv. After falling .500m, the styrofoam reaches terminal speed and takes 5.00s to reach the ground. I need to find the value of the constant b.

Thus far, resistance R = -bv and that mg (weight) is pulling the styrofoam down. That would imply ma = mg - bv, in which a = g - (b/m)v. Terminal velocity is when Vt = mg/b and is only approached, not reached, so the equation for v would be
v = Vt(1 - e^(-bt/m)). The question said that a = g - bv...so I would assume m = 1kg (a bit big for styrofoam)...or do I have to come up with another equation for this? and how would I incorporate displacement into the equations if the acceleration is not constant?
You are making the problem complex. It is given that a = g-bv. Terminal velocity can be calculated knowing that it takes 5 seconds to travel 1.5m. What is the acceleration at terminal velocity? Solve for b.

I see...I get what you're saying; with the time, I can find b knowing the at some point v is approximately Vt. I have just one more question. How did they find that
v = Vt(1 - e^(-bt/m)).

Last edited:
I told you the other day -- by integration of the eqn of motion. You'll soon learn it.

1. How can I calculate the resistive force on a Styrofoam dropping from 2.00m?

To calculate the resistive force on a Styrofoam dropping from 2.00m, you will need to use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). You will also need to consider the density of the Styrofoam and the air resistance it experiences.

2. What is the mass of a Styrofoam object?

The mass of a Styrofoam object can vary, but it is typically very light. The mass can be measured using a scale or by calculating the volume of the object and multiplying it by the density of Styrofoam, which is 25kg/m^3.

3. How does air resistance affect the calculation of resistive force on a Styrofoam object?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. Since Styrofoam is a very light and porous material, it experiences a significant amount of air resistance. This resistance will need to be taken into account when calculating the resistive force on a Styrofoam object.

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8m/s^2. This means that all objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the earth at this rate.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the resistive force on any object?

Yes, the formula F = ma can be used to calculate the resistive force on any object. However, the values for mass and acceleration may vary depending on the object's properties and the environment in which it is moving.