1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistivity and Mobility

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume the mobility ratio u_n/u_p = b in Si is a constant independent of impurity concentration. Find the maximum resistivity [tex]\rho_m[/tex] in terms of the intrinsic resistivity [tex]\rho_i[/tex]. If b = 3 and the hole mobility of intrinsic Si is 450 cm^2/Vs calculate [tex]\rho_i[/tex] and [tex]\rho_m[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know that conductivity is [tex]\sigma[/tex] = q(u_n * n + u_p * p)
    For the intrinsic conductivity [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] = q(u_p *b * n_i + u_p * n_i) = q u_p n_i (b + 1).

Now I'm having a bit of trouble expressing [tex]\sigma_m[/tex] where this is a minimum conductivity (or maximum resistivity)...
    [tex]\sigma_m[/tex] = q ( b * u_p * n + u_p * p)
    To get a minimum conductivity I would think that n should be extremely low but I fail to see how I can express this in terms of the intrinsic conductivity. I know that n_i at 300 K is 10^10/cm^3. Does anyone have any hints?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted