How Is Maximum Resistivity Calculated from Intrinsic Resistivity in Silicon?

In summary, the maximum resistivity in Si with a constant mobility ratio of 3 and an intrinsic hole mobility of 450 cm^2/Vs can be expressed as 4.15 * 10^3 times the intrinsic resistivity.
roeb

Homework Statement

Assume the mobility ratio u_n/u_p = b in Si is a constant independent of impurity concentration. Find the maximum resistivity [tex]\rho_m[/tex] in terms of the intrinsic resistivity [tex]\rho_i[/tex]. If b = 3 and the hole mobility of intrinsic Si is 450 cm^2/Vs calculate [tex]\rho_i[/tex] and [tex]\rho_m[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that conductivity is [tex]\sigma[/tex] = q(u_n * n + u_p * p)
For the intrinsic conductivity [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] = q(u_p *b * n_i + u_p * n_i) = q u_p n_i (b + 1).

Now I'm having a bit of trouble expressing [tex]\sigma_m[/tex] where this is a minimum conductivity (or maximum resistivity)...
[tex]\sigma_m[/tex] = q ( b * u_p * n + u_p * p)
To get a minimum conductivity I would think that n should be extremely low but I fail to see how I can express this in terms of the intrinsic conductivity. I know that n_i at 300 K is 10^10/cm^3. Does anyone have any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's define some variables:
- u_n: electron mobility
- u_p: hole mobility
- b: mobility ratio
- n: electron concentration
- p: hole concentration
- n_i: intrinsic carrier concentration
- \rho_i: intrinsic resistivity
- \rho_m: maximum resistivity

To find the maximum resistivity, we need to find the minimum conductivity. This occurs when n and p are at their minimum values, which is when the material is intrinsic (no impurities).

So, for the minimum conductivity, we have n = n_i and p = n_i. Substituting this into the equation for conductivity, we get:

\sigma_m = q ( b * u_p * n_i + u_p * n_i)
= q u_p n_i (b + 1)

Now, we know that for intrinsic Si, the hole mobility is 450 cm^2/Vs and the intrinsic carrier concentration is 10^10/cm^3. So, substituting these values into the equation above, we get:

\sigma_m = (1.602 * 10^-19 C) * (450 cm^2/Vs) * (10^10/cm^3) * (3 + 1)
= 2.41 * 10^-4 (1/Ohm * cm)

Since \rho_m is the reciprocal of conductivity, we have:

\rho_m = (1 / 2.41 * 10^-4) Ohm * cm = 4.15 * 10^3 Ohm * cm

So, the maximum resistivity in terms of the intrinsic resistivity is:

\rho_m = 4.15 * 10^3 * \rho_i

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

2. How is resistivity related to conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inverse properties of each other. Resistivity is equal to the reciprocal of conductivity, which is a measure of how easily a material allows electric current to flow. Conductivity is typically denoted by the Greek letter sigma (σ) and is measured in siemens per meter (S/m).

3. What factors affect resistivity?

Resistivity is affected by several factors, including the type of material, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. In general, materials with high resistivity are poor conductors, while materials with low resistivity are good conductors.

4. What is mobility and how is it related to resistivity?

Mobility is a measure of how easily and quickly charge carriers (such as electrons or ions) can move through a material. It is denoted by the Greek letter mu (μ) and is measured in square meters per volt-second (m2/V·s). Mobility is directly related to resistivity, with higher mobility resulting in lower resistivity and vice versa.

5. How do resistivity and mobility impact the electrical properties of materials?

Resistivity and mobility play a crucial role in determining the electrical properties of a material. Materials with high resistivity and low mobility are typically used as insulators, while materials with low resistivity and high mobility are used as conductors. Materials with intermediate values of resistivity and mobility can exhibit properties of both insulators and conductors and are known as semiconductors.