What is the Definition of Resistivity and its Relationship to Resistance?

In summary, resistivity is a measure of a material's resistance to the flow of electrons, taking into account its length and area. It is not directly proportional to any dimension and is an important factor to consider when defining the resistance in a conductor.
ghostbuster25
I am revising for my A levels and I have noticed that a common question on the paper is to define RESISTIVITY.

I have looked and looked but found no definitive description or a good definition.

I know the formula but is it right to just say that "resistivity is directly proportional to a conductors length and inversely proportional to its area. and is the resistance electrons face while flowing through it"

Is there any bette way of writing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ghostbuster25! :smile:
ghostbuster25 said:
I know the formula but is it right to just say that "resistivity is directly proportional to a conductors length and inversely proportional to its area. and is the resistance electrons face while flowing through it"

nooo, that's wrong :redface:

resistance is directly proportional to a conductors length and inversely proportional to its area …

resistivity (like density) isn't proportional to any dimension :wink:

i'd start by saying that https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=241" is a property of a material, and is the resistance … :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Resistance = Resistivity * (length/area) where resistivity is a material property.

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of how strongly a material opposes the flow of electric current. It is a material property that is dependent on the material's composition, temperature, and physical structure.

How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called an ohmmeter, which measures the resistance of a material. The resistivity can then be calculated using the material's dimensions and the measured resistance.

What is the unit of resistivity?

The unit of resistivity is ohm-meter (Ωm) in the SI system, or ohm-centimeter (Ωcm) in the cgs system. It represents the resistance of a material with a length of 1 meter (or 1 centimeter) and a cross-sectional area of 1 square meter (or 1 square centimeter).

What factors affect resistivity?

The resistivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and physical structure. Generally, materials with more free electrons (such as metals) have lower resistivity, and resistivity increases with temperature.

What is the relationship between resistivity and conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inversely related. The higher the resistivity of a material, the lower its conductivity. This means that materials with lower resistivity are better conductors of electricity.