1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistivity - Need definition

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    I am revising for my A levels and I have noticed that a common question on the paper is to define RESISTIVITY.

I have looked and looked but found no definitive description or a good definition.

I know the formula but is it right to just say that "resistivity is directly proportional to a conductors length and inversely proportional to its area. and is the resistance electrons face while flowing through it"

Is there any bette way of writing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi ghostbuster25! :smile:
    nooo, that's wrong :redface:

resistance is directly proportional to a conductors length and inversely proportional to its area …

resistivity (like density) isn't proportional to any dimension :wink:

i'd start by saying that https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=241" is a property of a material, and is the resistance … :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    Resistance = Resistivity * (length/area) where resistivity is a material property.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook