Calculating Resistivity of Doped Silicon Sample

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a silicon sample is doped with donor and acceptor atoms. The question asks for the resistivity, the type of material (insulator, conductor, or semiconductor), and if the material is intrinsic or not. The solution involves using an equation to calculate the resistivity and understanding the concept of intrinsic semiconductor. The person seeking help did not have access to a textbook and found this website in their search for assistance.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

A silicon sample is doped with 5.0 X 10^19 donor atoms/cm^3 and 5.0 X 10^19 acceptor atmos/cm^3

a)What is its resistivity?
b)Is this an insulator, conductor or semiconductor?
c)Is this intrinsic material?

Homework Equations

No clue.. this is where I need help

The Attempt at a Solution

The question completely threw me off.

I am assuming I can answer b and c once I calculate part a, but I have no clue which equation to use. Can anybody start me off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Please read one's textbook.

Intrinsic semiconductor is undoped.

The electrical conductivity is the inverse of the resistivity: [itex]\sigma[/itex] = 1/[itex]\rho[/itex].

Read this page - http://www.virginia.edu/bohr/mse209/chapter19.htm

Sorry, Amazon still hasn't sent me the textbook yet, so I had a hard time doing the homework, searching through internet, which led me to this website at end :(

Thanks for your help

1. What is the resistivity of silicon?

The resistivity of silicon is approximately 2.3 x 10^-3 ohm-meters at room temperature.

2. How does the resistivity of silicon compare to other materials?

Silicon has a higher resistivity than most metals, but is lower than most insulators. This makes it a semiconductor, which is a material with electrical conductivity between a conductor and an insulator.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of silicon?

The resistivity of silicon is affected by temperature, doping levels, and impurities. Higher temperatures, higher doping levels, and more impurities generally result in higher resistivity.

4. Why is silicon commonly used in electronics?

Silicon is commonly used in electronics because of its semiconducting properties. It can be doped to create p-type and n-type regions, allowing for the creation of diodes, transistors, and other electronic components.

5. How is the resistivity of silicon measured?

The resistivity of silicon can be measured using a four-point probe method, which involves passing a known current through the material and measuring the voltage drop across four points. The resistivity can then be calculated using the dimensions of the sample and the measured values.