Resistivity Q: Hall Conductance or Longitudinal Resistivity?

• Thread starter lion8172
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistivity
In summary, the discussion revolves around the relationship between the Hall conductance and the longitudinal resistivity in relation to the density of states at the Fermi level. While one source suggests that the Hall conductance is proportional to the derivative of the density of states, another suggests that the longitudinal resistivity is proportional to the density of states. Further clarification is needed to determine which is correct.
lion8172
I read somewhere that the Hall conductance is proportional to the derivative of the density of states at the Fermi level, and somewhere else that the longitudinal resistivity is proportional to the density of states at the Fermi level. Does anyone happen to know which it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
edit : I'll check a textbook :)

lion8172 said:
I read somewhere that the Hall conductance is proportional to the derivative of the density of states at the Fermi level,
I need to think about this. I believe the derivative of the Hall resistivity w. r. to field is proportional to n(E_F).

and somewhere else that the longitudinal resistivity is proportional to the density of states at the Fermi level.
That looks right (for a 3d problem).

I got to look at all my old notes, somewhere along the line I had to have done this calculation for my dissertation...give me a chance to dig it out...

1. What is resistivity and how is it related to Hall conductance and longitudinal resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is directly related to both Hall conductance and longitudinal resistivity, as these are both properties that describe how easily electrons can move through a material.

2. How is Hall conductance different from longitudinal resistivity?

Hall conductance refers to the flow of current perpendicular to an applied electric field, while longitudinal resistivity refers to the flow of current parallel to the electric field. This means that the two measurements are perpendicular to each other and are affected by different factors.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material is affected by a variety of factors, including the type of material, its temperature, and any impurities or defects present. Additionally, the strength of the applied electric field can also impact resistivity.

4. How is resistivity measured in a material?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called a four-point probe, which applies a small electric current to the material and measures the voltage drop across it. This measurement can then be used to calculate the resistivity of the material.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding resistivity, Hall conductance, and longitudinal resistivity?

Understanding these properties is important in many fields, such as materials science, electrical engineering, and physics. It allows us to design and optimize electronic devices, study the behavior of materials under different conditions, and develop new technologies for energy production and storage.