1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistivity with temp

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    :confused: oki, here's the deal, i have a 540W heating coil 110V nichrome wre 0.600mm in diameter. considering the variaion of resistivity with temperature, waht will the coil 4.2236 m actually deliver when it is heated to from 1200 C from 20 C. i have tried using R=R[o]*(1+alpha8(T-T[o]) and using alpha as .0004 and R as the ohms found from wattage and volts. where am i going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This question is very poorly worded. Would you please write it down EXACTLY as it appears in your homework ?

If you're asking for the power delivered at 1200C, P = V^2/R(1200C) should give you the answer. You may also have to consider the change in resistance due to thermal expansion, though I think this may be small.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?