Is this Resistor Capacitor Circuit Reliable and Versatile?

In summary: The circuit does not work in a circuit simulator, and the schematics are not very good. I believe the circuit can be used to measure capacitance, but I don't see any other applications. The circuit has two delays, and at the output of the first delay, you should get an output pulse that is at the same frequency as the input pulse, but with an offset. When you input a pulse at the gate of the second delay, you should also get an output pulse that is at the same frequency as the input pulse, but with an offset.The schematic is not very good, and the simulation is not correct. The circuit can measure capacitance, but there are other ways to do this
maximade
http://www.mediafire.com/?dqjlrfbu0m63l67
Hey I've been trying to recreate this circuit on a breadboard for a while and it never works...
Then I try to make it in a circuit simulator and it still doesn't work. Anyone know if the circuit actually works?
Also I believe this circuit can be used for measuring capacitance of capacitors, but is there any other useful applications in using this circuit? (like someone told me it could be use to find harmful things in blood)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pass on downloading unknown files from unknow site. Put the circuit here, then you will get comments, maybe answers.
DC

maximade said:
Hey I've been trying to recreate this circuit on a breadboard for a while and it never works...
Then I try to make it in a circuit simulator and it still doesn't work. Anyone know if the circuit actually works?
Also I believe this circuit can be used for measuring capacitance of capacitors, but is there any other useful applications in using this circuit? (like someone told me it could be use to find harmful things in blood)

I agree with DarioC. I clicked on the link, and only got a bunch of popups. Please upload it as a PDF.

maximade said:

Sorry about that, anyways I uploaded the PDF.

Attachments

• Williams2004.pdf
    149.4 KB · Views: 204
maximade said:
Sorry about that, anyways I uploaded the PDF.

What do you mean it doesn't work in a circuit simulator? Do you have models for the parts used in the schematic? What does the simulation do that is not right? Do you get offset pulses at the final AND gate and nothing out? What about at the outputs of the two delays?

It will be hard to build this on a breadboard, unless you are building it onto a ground plane soldered breadboard. This is probably too fast of a circuit to prototype on a plastic plug-board.

As for applications, they mention very fast sampling as one. It could also be used for generating pulses for cable testing (TDR = time delay reflectometer). I don't see a direct application for capacitance testing.

berkeman said:
What do you mean it doesn't work in a circuit simulator? Do you have models for the parts used in the schematic? What does the simulation do that is not right? Do you get offset pulses at the final AND gate and nothing out? What about at the outputs of the two delays?

It will be hard to build this on a breadboard, unless you are building it onto a ground plane soldered breadboard. This is probably too fast of a circuit to prototype on a plastic plug-board.

As for applications, they mention very fast sampling as one. It could also be used for generating pulses for cable testing (TDR = time delay reflectometer). I don't see a direct application for capacitance testing.

The picture of the similator is attached, anyways I think I am using wrong comparators, and I am also using a function generator in the similator as opposed to a pulse generator. Anyways hopefully that isn't the probelm I hope. Also at the top left part of the schematic, the thing above the "variable delay" is that a potentiometer?

Can you supply me pictures on what the plastic plug and the ground plane soldered breadboard looks like? Plus what do you mean by too fast? Once again thanks in advance.

Attachments

• circuit sim.doc
    228.5 KB · Views: 220
maximade said:
The picture of the similator is attached, anyways I think I am using wrong comparators, and I am also using a function generator in the similator as opposed to a pulse generator. Anyways hopefully that isn't the probelm I hope. Also at the top left part of the schematic, the thing above the "variable delay" is that a potentiometer?

Can you supply me pictures on what the plastic plug and the ground plane soldered breadboard looks like? Plus what do you mean by too fast? Once again thanks in advance.

Look farther back into the circuit with your observation oscilloscope in the simulation. What is coming out of the first comparator? And yes, I'd use pulse inputs instead of sine wave input.

The plated-through, pad per hole, 0.1" spacing, ground plane prototype board that I like to use is this:

Twin Industries 8200-4565 http://www.twinind.com/catalog_detail.php?id=116

There is interstitial ground plane on both sides (not connected to each other, though, unless you make the connection yourself). To ground a pin, you just short it to the interstitial ground with a solder bridge. You can make some nice low-impedance circuits using this prototype board, so it's good for high-speed digital circuits or low-level analog circuits.

Questions: Do you have a scope? How fast is it? Make yourself a little pulse generator with a 555 or some better chip. As a matter of fact, you might want to build some slower pulse generators using chips like the 555 before you jump into the high speed stuff. Kinda work your way up to the faster and more complicated stuff.

The circuit looks workable to me as far as the general principle goes.

The board suggested appears to be very similar to those available at your local Radio Shack. That is if they are still available. Radio Shack seems to be turning into another consumer products Walmart, from what I have seen.

1. What is a Resistor Capacitor circuit?

A Resistor Capacitor circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor and a capacitor. It is used to control the flow of electrical current and store electrical charge.

2. How does a Resistor Capacitor circuit work?

A Resistor Capacitor circuit works by using the resistor to limit the flow of electrical current and the capacitor to store electrical charge. When the circuit is first turned on, the capacitor will begin to charge until it reaches its maximum capacity. As the capacitor is charging, the voltage across the resistor will decrease. Once the capacitor reaches its maximum charge, the voltage across the resistor will be zero and the capacitor will act as an open circuit, allowing the current to flow freely.

3. What is the purpose of using a Resistor Capacitor circuit?

The purpose of using a Resistor Capacitor circuit is to control the flow of electrical current and to store electrical charge. This can be useful in various applications such as timing circuits, filtering circuits, and signal processing circuits.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of a Resistor Capacitor circuit?

The time constant of a Resistor Capacitor circuit is calculated by multiplying the resistance (in ohms) by the capacitance (in farads). This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum charge when connected to a resistor.

5. What are some common uses for a Resistor Capacitor circuit?

A Resistor Capacitor circuit has many common uses in electronic devices. Some of these include timing circuits in cameras and flash units, noise filters in audio equipment, and signal processing in radio frequency circuits.