1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistor for Headlight

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    Long story short, I am college student with limited capital. My high beam went out on my 2008 VW rabbit and melted the headlight enclosure. The cost to fix the unit is $500 which I do not want to spend for a head light. The bulb is a 12v 55w unit. There is a bulb out light I would like to get rid of on my dash and was thinking of putting a resistor in its place to trick the system. I tried a 10ohm resistor but it just started smoking and didn't fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what resistor I should use to fix this problem? any help would be most appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

cmb

The remedy for this predicament is; don't drive the car (because it would probably be breaching some regulation or other). Then the light on the dash won't bother you.

Sell it, and use the money to pay for bus tickets.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    Put a piece of tape over the dash light and forget it.

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try your local scrap car dealers. You can probably get "pre-owned" replacement unit for a lot less than $500.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook