Calculating Voltage in a 6x6 Resistor Grid

In summary: The resistance of each square is halved due to the parallel connection, but the voltage remains the same. The author then shows how to apply Kirchhoff's laws to solve for the voltage between O and B, C and D, and E and F. The conversation then continues with a discussion of the symmetry of the grid and the potential sources at A and O, and how folding the grid can help determine the voltage at various points. However, there is some confusion about the solution given in the book and the potential distribution in the grid. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the solution.
RingNebula57

Homework Statement

We have a resistor grid with 6x6 squres. ( figure below) If we know the voltage between ##O## and ##A##, what is the voltage between:
##a) O## and ##B##
##b) C## and ##D##
##c) E## and ##F##
Every side has the same resistance.
Resistor grid.png

Attempt for solution:

Because of the symmetry of the circuit , the equivalent circuit looks like this:
Resistor grid 2.png

Now every resistance is half its initial value because of the parallel connection.

From here on I am stuck . I mean I don't really like applying kirchhoff's laws in situations like this. So I checked the solution and there the author connected the grid like this "from symmetry":
Resistor grid 3.png

And after this:
Resistor grid 4.png

Resistor grid 5.png

I don't really think that these points that the author connected are equipotential especially in the first and third picture of his solution...
Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are the potentials in the grid created? That will establish your symmetry. Is the voltage OA a measurement or the result of placing a voltage source between them? Is there a source that we don't see energizing the grid?

Likes RingNebula57
gneill said:
How are the potentials in the grid created? That will establish your symmetry. Is the voltage OA a measurement or the result of placing a voltage source between them? Is there a source that we don't see energizing the grid?
The way I see this grid is like a superposition of two grids with two independent voltage sources ##V_- ## and ##V_+## which are in A and O. The voltage is created by passing a current trough a resistance. So is see now that the current in A has to exit in the opposite point. And than superposed with O creates same potential.
Is it right?

RingNebula57 said:
The way I see this grid is like a superposition of two grids with two independent voltage sources ##V_- ## and ##V_+## which are in A and O. The voltage is created by passing a current trough a resistance. So is see now that the current in A has to exit in the opposite point. And than superposed with O creates same potential.
Is it right?
I think I got it. I had this feeling that as the current gets further away from A , is diverging more and more, but is diverging until it reaches the "O diagonal" of the square and than it converges again so it is symetric.

Last edited:
RingNebula57 said:
I think I got it. I had this feeling that as the current gets further away from A , is diverging more and more, but is diverging until it reaches the "O diagona" of the square and than it converges again so it is symetric.
I'm not following your description. No doubt you have a good picture of what you're describing in your mind. Perhaps you can make a sketch to illustrate?

gneill said:
I'm not following your description. No doubt you have a good picture of what you're describing in your mind. Perhaps you can make a sketch to illustrate?
gneill said:
Resistor grid 6.png

What I was trying to say is that if we consider only point A as a potential source, than , from symmetry , we can fold the square grid twice ( connecting N-M and P-A)

A potential difference requires two points: You measure the potential at a given point with respect to some other point. Similarly for voltage sources, the potential difference is established between its two terminals. Both terminals must be connected to the circuit for the source to create potential differences within it. So if your point A is connected to the + terminal, where is the - terminal of the source connected? At point P?

If your source connections are A and P then I agree that the grid can be folded to join N-M. But P-A would not work. Any folding you do must preserve the distinct connection points of the source.

gneill said:
A potential difference requires two points: You measure the potential at a given point with respect to some other point. Similarly for voltage sources, the potential difference is established between its two terminals. Both terminals must be connected to the circuit for the source to create potential differences within it. So if your point A is connected to the + terminal, where is the - terminal of the source connected? At point P?

If your source connections are A and P then I agree that the grid can be folded to join N-M. But P-A would not work. Any folding you do must preserve the distinct connection points of the source.
Ok , so the second point is P. You are right that P-A would not work. So, what is going on ? Is the solution from the book okay?

RingNebula57 said:
Ok , so the second point is P. You are right that P-A would not work. So, what is going on ? Is the solution from the book okay?
I don't know what the author was thinking when he made his symmetry choice. Was there any other information given about the distribution of potentials other than the O-A voltage? For example, if it were given that point P has the same potential as point A with respect to O then that would change how we look at things.

gneill said:
I don't know what the author was thinking when he made his symmetry choice. Was there any other information given about the distribution of potentials other than the O-A voltage? For example, if it were given that point P has the same potential as point A with respect to O then that would change how we look at things.
Actually there is a thing that the author says and I didn't notice. It says that the frame of this grid is made of superconducting material and only what is in the interior of the square has restistance.

RingNebula57 said:
Actually there is a thing that the author says and I didn't notice. It says that the frame of this grid is made of superconducting material and only what is in the interior of the square has restistance.
And I think that this means that A and P have the same potential , because if we were to apply kirchhoff's law for voltage taking the loop to be the square frame, than we would obtain ##V_A=V_P## . Am I right?

RingNebula57 said:

RingNebula57 said:
And I think that this means that A and P have the same potential , because if we were to apply kirchhoff's law for voltage taking the loop to be the square frame, than we would obtain VA=VPVA=VPV_A=V_P . Am I right?

Ah! Big difference! Yes, if the entire frame is constrained to be at the same potential then that makes a huge difference in your symmetry options.

All the corners will be at the same potential and you can fold the circuit along either diagonal or even the centerlines.

Likes RingNebula57
Could you please reproduce or quote verbatim the entire problem so we can advise on that and on any misunderstandings of this problem which sounds intriguing and even a bit fundamental?

RingNebula57 said:

Homework Statement

We have a resistor grid with 6x6 squres. ( figure below) If we know the voltage between ##O## and ##A##, what is the voltage between:
##a) O## and ##B##
##b) C## and ##D##
##c) E## and ##F##
Every side has the same resistance.
View attachment 108309
Attempt for solution:

Because of the symmetry of the circuit , the equivalent circuit looks like this:
View attachment 108311
Now every resistance is half its initial value because of the parallel connection.

From here on I am stuck . I mean I don't really like applying kirchhoff's laws in situations like this. So I checked the solution and there the author connected the grid like this "from symmetry":
View attachment 108312
And after this:
View attachment 108313
View attachment 108314
I don't really think that these points that the author connected are equipotential especially in the first and third picture of his solution...
Am I right?

So the major misunderstanding here is that the square frame is actually made of superconducting material, so the entire frame is a equipotential region.

RingNebula57 said:
So the major misunderstanding here is that the square frame is actually made of superconducting material, so the entire frame is a equipotential region.
Yes. As often is the case, the devil is in the details :smile:

1. How do you calculate the total voltage in a 6x6 resistor grid?

To calculate the total voltage in a 6x6 resistor grid, you need to first determine the voltage drop across each resistor. This can be done using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Once you have the voltage drop for each resistor, you can add them together to find the total voltage in the grid.

2. What is the formula for calculating voltage in a 6x6 resistor grid?

The formula for calculating voltage in a 6x6 resistor grid is V = I x R, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula can be applied to each individual resistor in the grid, and the results can be added together to find the total voltage.

3. How do you determine the current in a 6x6 resistor grid?

To determine the current in a 6x6 resistor grid, you can use Ohm's Law again. This time, you will rearrange the formula to solve for current (I), which is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Once you have the current for each resistor, you can add them together to find the total current in the grid.

4. What is the significance of resistance in a 6x6 resistor grid?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. In a 6x6 resistor grid, resistance plays a crucial role in determining the voltage and current. The higher the resistance, the more voltage will be needed to push a certain amount of current through the resistor. This is why resistance is an important factor in calculating voltage in a 6x6 resistor grid.

5. Can you use this method to calculate voltage in a resistor grid of any size?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate voltage in a resistor grid of any size. As long as you know the voltage drop and resistance for each individual resistor, you can add them together to find the total voltage in the grid. However, as the size of the grid increases, the calculation may become more complex and time-consuming.