• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Resistor network

• Thread starter herich
  • Start date
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/4260/note0002ku2.th.jpg [Broken]

I don't understand how can I draw a new network finding the equivalent network.
Are there any techniques that I have to know?

Also, can the technique also applied to capacitor network finding equivalent capacitor network~??

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Defennder
Homework Helper
You only need to know how to add resistors in series and find equivalent resistance in parallel. Think of the points A,B,C,D as nodes. What is the eq resistance between A and C for eg.? Once you have that redraw the circuit. Do this for the rest.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I don't understand how can I draw a new network finding the equivalent network.
Are there any techniques that I have to know?

Also, can the technique also applied to capacitor network finding equivalent capacitor network~??
First simplify your drawing as much as possible. Remove the parallel resisters and replace with equivalent R. Likewise remove the series resistors and replace with equivalent. (Of course you must be careful to preserve the nodes of interest.) In the case of this problem your resulting network is much simpler and you can see the answer from inspection.

You can likewise treat capacitive networks, by employing the same simplification techniques. Resolve parallel capacitors and series capacitors into equivalent capacitance - preserving of course any nodes of interest.

I'm sorry, but what's "nodes of interest"?

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I'm sorry, but what's "nodes of interest"?
The nodes of interest in your problem to me would be A and B. I was merely cautioning you not to combine a point that you would want to measure inside an equivalent resistance.