1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistor network

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1

I don't understand how can I draw a new network finding the equivalent network.
    Are there any techniques that I have to know?

Also, can the technique also applied to capacitor network finding equivalent capacitor network~??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You only need to know how to add resistors in series and find equivalent resistance in parallel. Think of the points A,B,C,D as nodes. What is the eq resistance between A and C for eg.? Once you have that redraw the circuit. Do this for the rest.
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

First simplify your drawing as much as possible. Remove the parallel resisters and replace with equivalent R. Likewise remove the series resistors and replace with equivalent. (Of course you must be careful to preserve the nodes of interest.) In the case of this problem your resulting network is much simpler and you can see the answer from inspection.

You can likewise treat capacitive networks, by employing the same simplification techniques. Resolve parallel capacitors and series capacitors into equivalent capacitance - preserving of course any nodes of interest.
  5. Aug 29, 2008 #4
    I'm sorry, but what's "nodes of interest"?
  6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

The nodes of interest in your problem to me would be A and B. I was merely cautioning you not to combine a point that you would want to measure inside an equivalent resistance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?