Finding Equivalent Resistor & Capacitor Networks

In summary, in order to draw a new network finding the equivalent network, you need to know how to add resistors in series and find equivalent resistance in parallel. The same techniques can also be applied to capacitor networks. To simplify the drawing, remove parallel and series resistors and replace them with equivalent resistors, being careful to preserve any nodes of interest. You can use the same process for capacitive networks, resolving parallel and series capacitors into equivalent capacitance. Just be cautious not to combine a point of interest inside an equivalent resistance.
herich
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/4260/note0002ku2.th.jpg [Broken]

I don't understand how can I draw a new network finding the equivalent network.
Are there any techniques that I have to know?

Also, can the technique also applied to capacitor network finding equivalent capacitor network~??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to know how to add resistors in series and find equivalent resistance in parallel. Think of the points A,B,C,D as nodes. What is the eq resistance between A and C for eg.? Once you have that redraw the circuit. Do this for the rest.

herich said:
I don't understand how can I draw a new network finding the equivalent network.
Are there any techniques that I have to know?

Also, can the technique also applied to capacitor network finding equivalent capacitor network~??

First simplify your drawing as much as possible. Remove the parallel resisters and replace with equivalent R. Likewise remove the series resistors and replace with equivalent. (Of course you must be careful to preserve the nodes of interest.) In the case of this problem your resulting network is much simpler and you can see the answer from inspection.

You can likewise treat capacitive networks, by employing the same simplification techniques. Resolve parallel capacitors and series capacitors into equivalent capacitance - preserving of course any nodes of interest.

I'm sorry, but what's "nodes of interest"?

herich said:
I'm sorry, but what's "nodes of interest"?

The nodes of interest in your problem to me would be A and B. I was merely cautioning you not to combine a point that you would want to measure inside an equivalent resistance.

1. How do I determine the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding the values of each resistor in the circuit.

2. What is the formula for finding the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The formula for finding the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel is Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values in parallel.

3. How do I determine the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit?

To determine the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit, you can use a combination of series and parallel circuit rules. Simplify the circuit by breaking it down into smaller parts and finding the equivalent resistance of each part. Then, combine these values to find the overall equivalent resistance of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for current to flow. The equivalent resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, creating multiple pathways for current to flow. The equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is always less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How do I find the total capacitance of capacitors in a parallel circuit?

To find the total capacitance of capacitors in a parallel circuit, use the formula Ceq = (C1 x C2 x C3 x ...) / (C1 + C2 + C3 + ...), where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values in parallel. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between capacitance and resistance in parallel circuits.