Resistor made from two materials

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two electric fields and a boundary where the field changes abruptly. The participants discuss the concept of a dielectric and a sheet of charge, and how they affect the electric field. They also discuss the direction and magnitude of the electric field in different sections, and how the charge at the boundary influences it.
RoboNerd
Hi everyone, I am having problems figuring out how to solve a particular problem.

Because I was not able to access PhysicsForums recently, I typed everything about my issues into a pdf file that I have attached below.

I am grateful for your help in advance, and make it a great day!

Everything in the attached file matches the given template.

Homework Statement

Everything is described in the pdf file attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1977 question 2 problem statement.pdf
    320.4 KB · Views: 221
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for the two electric fields? They're different, right? If the field changes abruptly across the boundary, what can you deduce?

For my two magnetic fields, I have the following results:

E1 = rho * I / A
E2 = 3 * rho * I /A

Now, I do not have any idea what I need to do if the field changes across a boundary abruptly. If the boundary was a conductor, then there would be a separation of charges on the conductor (boundary) and the electric field would be zero inside it, but would remain the same around it.

Apart from that, I do not know.

The only thing that could be similar to this is the concept of a dielectric that reduces the electric field inside the capacitor. Maybe the boundary is a dielectric, and thus reduces the electric field across the boundary?Thanks for being willing to help.

RoboNerd said:
For my two magnetic fields, I have the following results:

E1 = rho * I / A
E2 = 3 * rho * I /A

Now, I do not have any idea what I need to do if the field changes across a boundary abruptly. If the boundary was a conductor, then there would be a separation of charges on the conductor (boundary) and the electric field would be zero inside it, but would remain the same around it.

Apart from that, I do not know.

The only thing that could be similar to this is the concept of a dielectric that reduces the electric field inside the capacitor. Maybe the boundary is a dielectric, and thus reduces the electric field across the boundary?Thanks for being willing to help.
The question implies there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary, in addition to the charge flowing through. What field is generated by a sheet of charge? (You can treat it as wide since the wire will tend to corral the field lines into being parallel.)

haruspex said:
The question implies there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary, in addition to the charge flowing through. What field is generated by a sheet of charge? (You can treat it as wide since the wire will tend to corral the field lines into being parallel.)

How it imply that there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary? Even if there is constant charge on the boundary, how is that even possible since the charge is flowing through.

Well, per Gauss's Law for a sheet of charge, the electric field generated by a sheet of charge is going to be sigma/(2* e0).
The electric fields #'s 1 and 2 are thus different due to the effect of the additional electric field created by the charge.

In this case, the Electric Field caused by the charge is going to be 2* rho * I /A, right?

RoboNerd said:
Even if there is constant charge on the boundary, how is that even possible since the charge is flowing through.
A river flows into the upstream end of a lake and out at the downstream end. Water flows through, but there is also a constant volume pool of water.
RoboNerd said:
the Electric Field caused by the charge is going to be 2* rho * I /A, right?
The electric field due to the charge will create that difference. But remember the field from the sheet points both ways.

Likes RoboNerd
haruspex said:
A river flows into the upstream end of a lake and out at the downstream end. Water flows through, but there is also a constant volume pool of water.

That is right. Thanks for fixing this misconception of mine.

haruspex said:
But remember the field from the sheet points both ways.
Since the current through section 1 is going towards the slab of charge, this means that the electric field E1 is directed away from the slab of charge. Thus the electric field of the charge is ADDED to the existing electric field in section 1 to get the final field E1.

Since the current going through section 2 is going away from the slab of charge, it means that E2 is directed towards the slab of charge. Thus the electric field of the slab of charge opposes the existing electric field in section 2 to get the final field E2. Right?

Thanks for the help!

RoboNerd said:
That is right. Thanks for fixing this misconception of mine.Since the current through section 1 is going towards the slab of charge, this means that the electric field E1 is directed away from the slab of charge. Thus the electric field of the charge is ADDED to the existing electric field in section 1 to get the final field E1.

Since the current going through section 2 is going away from the slab of charge, it means that E2 is directed towards the slab of charge. Thus the electric field of the slab of charge opposes the existing electric field in section 2 to get the final field E2. Right?

Thanks for the help!
Yes.. not completely sure about the signs/directions, but the basic idea is right: |E1-E2| will be |sigma|/(e0).

And then substitute sigma for Q/A and solve for Q!

I get it. Thanks a lot for the help!
haruspex said:
The question implies there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary

The final problem I have is understanding how the question implies that there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary.

RoboNerd said:
The final problem I have is understanding how the question implies that there is a constant layer of charge at the boundary.
It asks you to calculate the charge at the boundary, so presumably there is one.

What is a resistor made from two materials?

A resistor made from two materials is a type of electronic component that is composed of two different materials, usually in the form of a wire or strip. The two materials are typically chosen for their different electrical properties, such as resistance or conductivity, and are joined together to create a specific level of resistance.

What are the benefits of using a resistor made from two materials?

The use of two materials in a resistor allows for a more precise control of the resistance value, as the ratio of the two materials can be adjusted to achieve the desired resistance. This can also result in a more stable resistance over a wider range of temperatures, making it suitable for a variety of electronic applications.

What are the two most commonly used materials in a resistor?

The two most commonly used materials in a resistor are carbon and metal. Carbon is used for its high resistance value, while metals like copper or nickel are used for their low resistance value. Other materials such as tin oxide, nickel-chromium, and manganese-copper are also used, depending on the specific application and desired resistance value.

How does the composition of the two materials affect the resistance of the resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is directly proportional to the length and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area. The composition of the two materials affects the length and the cross-sectional area, thus directly influencing the overall resistance. For example, increasing the length of the carbon material will result in a higher resistance, while increasing the length of the metal material will result in a lower resistance.

What are some common applications of resistors made from two materials?

Resistors made from two materials are commonly used in electronic circuits to limit the flow of electrical current and to control voltage levels. They can also be used in sensors, transducers, and heating elements. Additionally, they are used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, televisions, and mobile phones.