1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistor or Inductor?

1. May 3, 2010 #1

A little food for thought for people who like high school physics labs..

In a standard rheostat(I have seen only the cylindrical one..the question is about rheostats of this shape..), we find a metal wire wound over a cylindrical core. The wire is wound with very closely spaced turns and as we know,it serves as a potential divider.

With this sort of construction why doesn't it function as an inductor?
    (in any simple DC circuit with a Rh we find the current to rise to the peak instantaneously rather than exponentially as with an inductor, proving that in no way a Rh can act as an inductor)..
    I guess the trick lies in the construction, please apprise me of the same..

Reply please..
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Sometimes (though definitely not always) in wire wound resistors you use opposing turns to minimize the inductance. That is you make a turn, then bend the wire 180 degrees, then make the next turn in the opposite direction and so on.

The above is not always needed however, since the resistance in such a device is very much larger than it would be in a similar dimensioned wound inductor, hence the time constant L/R is very much less (typically thousands of times less) and the device will still sensibly function as resistor over a fair frequency range despite the presence of some inductance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook