Solve Resistor Problem: Imagine Voltage Source from a to b

• Thread starter BigFlorida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the equivalent resistance between points c and d, with the possibility of adding a voltage source from a to b. It is mentioned that there is no 5 ohm resistor in parallel with the 6 ohm resistor connecting the two wires. The solution is suggested to be using Kirchhoff's laws and calculating the equivalent resistance. Additionally, it is mentioned that the problem statement does not specify if points a and b are connected. The problem can be solved with parallel and series resistances if they are not connected, but if they are, the posted problem statement is incomplete. Finally, it is suggested that the problem may be overthought and that the 5 ohm resistor can be ignored if
BigFlorida
For this problem I am just wondering if it is proper to "imagine" there is a voltage source from a to b so that one may say the 5 ohm resistor right after a is in parallel with the 6 ohm resistor connecting the two wires. If not, how would I go about solving this?

upload_2015-9-5_14-2-10.png

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why a and b? You are looking for the equivalent resistance between c and d. There you can add a voltage source.

There is no 5 ohm resistor in parallel to a 6 ohm resistor indepenent of the points you consider.

BigFlorida said:
one may say the 5 ohm resistor right after a is in parallel with the 6 ohm resistor connecting the two wires.
You could substitute the two resistors with a Thevenin-equivalent with a voltage source, VT and a resistor, RT:

VT = Vab * 6Ω / ( 5Ω + 6Ω )

RT = 5Ω || 6Ω

. . . and so on.
BigFlorida said:
If not, how would I go about solving this?
Use Kirchhoffs laws ( KVL and KCL ), set Vab = 100V, then calculate Vcd when cd is unloaded.
Then calculate ( KVL and KCL ) Icd when cd is short circuited.
Req = Vcd / Icd

Are a and b connected to anything? The problem statement does not mention this.
If they are not connected, the problem can be solved with parallel and series resistances only.
If they are connected, the posted problem statement is incomplete.

bigFlorida... You might be over thinking the problem.

a and b are open circuit so the 5R can be ignored.

The approach you suggested could be applicable _if_ there was a voltage source connected but you can't just add one.

1. What is a voltage source?

A voltage source is a component in a circuit that provides electrical energy in the form of a potential difference or voltage. It is typically represented by a battery symbol in circuit diagrams.

2. How do I find the voltage across a resistor?

To find the voltage across a resistor, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R): V = I * R. Alternatively, if you know the current and power dissipated by the resistor, you can use the formula P = V * I to find V.

3. What is the purpose of solving a resistor problem?

Solving a resistor problem allows you to determine the voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit. This information is essential for designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as understanding the flow of electricity in a system.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1-Rn are the individual resistances.

5. What are some common methods for solving resistor problems?

Common methods for solving resistor problems include using Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the voltage divider and current divider rules. Additionally, using circuit analysis software or simulators can also be helpful in solving more complex resistor problems.