Resistor Problems: Tips, Tricks & Tough Questions

• Thread starter pardesi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent resistance and capacitance of 3D cubical networks, as well as generalizing to N-dimensional networks and solving for resistances in different configurations. The conversation also mentions trying more challenging configurations, such as icosahedral and dodecahedral shapes. The ultimate goal is to have a strong understanding of calculating resistances.
pardesi
can someone please post an e-link to a site having tough and conceptual resistor and capacitor problems with all the tips and trick(to solve fatsly :rolleyes:).

please

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I need that too.

Mr V

find the equivalent resistance of a 3D cubical network, with each side of a cube having resistance R.

do the same for capacitance, assuming each side of the cube have capacitance C.

if that is too easy for you, try the same with icosahedral and dodecahedral.

* the input and output are end points of a "diagonal" in the 3D structure.

Last edited:
tim_lou said:
find the equivalent resistance of a 3D cubical network, with each side of a cube having resistance R.

do the same for capacitance, assuming each side of the cube have capacitance C.

if that is too easy for you, try the same with icosahedral and dodecahedral.

* the input and output are end points of a "diagonal" in the 3D structure.

too easy if you know the trick

too easy? how about generalizing it to N-dimensional cubical network? or try a soccer ball configuration.

even better, try to solve for the resistance of a 3D lattice network in a box with a given integral length, width and height, assuming different resistance for different "directions" the resistors point at.

for instance, resistors alone the x-axis has resistance R_x, and then R_y, R_z, respectively.:devil:

if you can do all these, i would say you have a fairly well understanding of calculating resistances.:shy:

Last edited:
then i guess i have a "fairly well" understanding of calculating resistances

1. What is a resistor and what does it do?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to resist the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is used to control the amount of current that passes through a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, this is expressed as R = V/I. Additionally, the resistance of a resistor can be determined by reading the colored bands on the resistor and using a resistor color code chart.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow through. The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side, providing multiple paths for the current to flow through. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The value of the resistor you choose will depend on the specific requirements of your circuit, such as the desired current and voltage. You can use Ohm's Law and the resistor color code to determine the appropriate resistance value. It is also important to consider the power rating of the resistor, as using a resistor with a lower power rating than needed can cause it to overheat and fail.

5. What are some common problems that can occur with resistors?

One common problem is resistor failure, which can be caused by overheating or exceeding the power rating of the resistor. Another issue is tolerance, which is the degree to which the actual resistance of a resistor may differ from its stated value. It is important to choose resistors with a low tolerance to ensure accuracy in your circuit. Additionally, incorrect placement or soldering of a resistor can cause it to malfunction.