Resistor Shorting and Kirchhoff's Rule Explanation

• Thread starter member 217843
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the 18 Ω resistor should not be included in the calculations if it is shorted out, as its resistance becomes 0. Including it in the calculations would result in an incorrect answer.
member 217843

Homework Statement

What would the current I1 be in the figure below if the 18 Ω resistor is shorted out (resistance = 0)? Let r = 1.0 Ω.

26-43.gif

Homework Equations

I used Kirchhoff's Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured this problem out, but I had trouble, and I'm not sure I understand why the answer is what it is. I'm confused about the resistor shorting out. At first, I wrote out the problem not including the shorted out resistor, as the resistance became 0 when it shorted out. However, this was wrong. I then attempted the problem including the 18 ohm resistor, and I got the correct answer.

Can someone explain to me why you need to include the shorted out resistor?

Note: I simply want to understand why, I don't need the problem worked out, as I already found the numerical answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You had it right the first time. If the resistor is shorted, it should not be included in the calculations. It sounds like the solutions you were given might be incorrect.

1. What is resistor shorting and how does it affect a circuit?

Resistor shorting is a phenomenon that occurs when a resistor is accidentally or intentionally connected with a wire or a component with almost zero resistance. This results in a lower overall resistance in the circuit, causing an increase in current flow and potentially damaging the circuit.

2. How can I prevent resistor shorting in my circuit?

To prevent resistor shorting, it is important to carefully design and build your circuit, ensuring that all connections are secure and that components are placed correctly. Additionally, using the appropriate type and value of resistors can also help prevent shorting.

3. What is Kirchhoff's rule and how does it apply to circuits with resistor shorting?

Kirchhoff's rule, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the conservation of energy and charge in an electrical circuit. In circuits with resistor shorting, Kirchhoff's laws still apply, but the presence of the shorted resistor may change the values used in the calculations.

4. Can resistor shorting have any positive effects on a circuit?

In most cases, resistor shorting is considered a negative effect on a circuit as it can cause damage and lead to inaccurate results. However, in some cases, shorting a resistor may be intentionally used to modify the behavior of a circuit or to test certain components.

5. What are the safety implications of resistor shorting?

Resistor shorting can potentially create a hazardous situation, especially in high power circuits, as it can lead to an increase in current flow and heat generation. It is important to always handle and work with circuits carefully to avoid any accidental shorting that may lead to electrical shocks or fires.