1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistor Types

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    resistor-sample.JPG
    I am taking an intro electrical circuits course which requires that I write extensive lab reports. I just completed a really simple lab about calculating resistance when configured in series and parallel, etc.

In my intro I'm writing a short explanation about resistance, and resistors, and such. For resistors used in a common college lab course, does anyone have an idea what exact "type" of resistor they might be?

I.E http://www.resistorguide.com/materials/ here are a couple examples of what I mean...I figure they might be one of the film types but I am not sure.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Probably carbon composition resistors.

EDIT: ... oh, wait ... that shape makes it more likely they are carbon film resistors.

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3
    Thank you! I thought so also...based on the tan shell, but I didn't know if shell color was the defining characteristic. Thank you!

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you can rely on the body colour to mean anything although metal film seem to be mostly blue and carbon film are mostly tan/beige.

One or two web sites claim...

blue body = fusible resistor
    white body = non-flammable

Would be nice to find confirmation of that.

On very old resistors the body colour was part of the value marking scheme....

Body colour = 1st digit
    End colour = 2nd digit
    Dot colour = Multiplier

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted