Finding the Voltage Drop Across a Capacitor in a Series Circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about a circuit with a 10khz signal, 1 volt amplitude, a 1k(ohm) resistor, and a 0.25 microF capacitor connected in series. The question is asking for the voltage drop across the capacitor and the conversation includes a discussion about using Kirchhoff's voltage law and solving a first order differential equation to find the answer. The conversation also addresses the issue of having a constant voltage across the capacitor in this type of circuit.
Pepsi24chevy
I got a question that reads: Supoose a 10khz signal with an amplitude of 1 volt is applied across a 1k(ohm) trdidyot snf s 0.25 microF capacitor which are connected in series. What is the voltage drop across the capacitor?

I tried to use the equation Vc(t) + Vco*cos(omega*t) in which i got 1*cos(2*pi*10000*0.0025) in which i got -.92104. I don't think this is right, but i am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Help me get this straight: You've got a single loop circuit with a voltage source, a resistance, and a capacitance, is that it?

If that's the case then you can write down Kirchhoff's voltage law for the loop. You'll have a first order differential equation which you can solve for the capacitor voltage.

so the answer would be 1 since i would do 1volt(1kohms/1kohms)=1v?

Think about what you've just said. You've got a capacitor with a resistance hooked up to a time-varying voltage source. How can you have a constant voltage across the capacitor in that case? (Answer: You can't.)

Am I correct in my assumption about the setup of this circuit?

Tom Mattson said:
Think about what you've just said. You've got a capacitor with a resistance hooked up to a time-varying voltage source. How can you have a constant voltage across the capacitor in that case? (Answer: You can't.)

Am I correct in my assumption about the setup of this circuit?
yes i believe you are correct. I copy the question just like it is in my pre lab.

OK, in that case you need to do what I said earlier. Write down Kirchhoff's voltage law for the circuit and solve the resulting differential equation. You will also need to know some initial condition for the circuit (like the initial capacitor voltage).

1. What is the purpose of a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is designed to resist the flow of electrons and reduce the voltage in a circuit.

2. How do resistors affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

Resistors reduce the amount of current flowing through a circuit. They do this by converting electric energy into heat energy, which dissipates through the resistor. This leads to a decrease in the voltage and current in the circuit.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is used for different purposes in electronic circuits.

4. How do capacitors store and release energy?

Capacitors store energy in an electric field created between two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When a voltage is applied, electrons are forced onto one of the plates, causing it to have a negative charge. The other plate then has a positive charge. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor discharges, releasing the stored energy.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the two plates. It is measured in farads (F), with smaller units like microfarads (μF) and picofarads (pF) commonly used in electronics.