Resistors connected in parallel and series

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding a circuit with resistors connected in parallel and series. The first question is to find the value of R(2) when R(1) = 5ohm, R(3) = 2ohm, and R(AB) = R(3), and the second question is to find the value of R(1) when R(2) = 4ohm, R(3) = 2ohm, and R(AB) = R(1). The second question requires the use of series and parallel combinations, while the first question may have a mistake in its given information. Both questions involve solving equations with one unknown.
cseet
Hi there,

I've another problem... as you can see I'm new to all these... pls forgive!

senario:

point A to B... across A and B there're 2 resistors R(1) and R(2) connected in parallel and R(3) in series to (R(1) and R(2))...

Questions:
1) assume R(1)=5ohm, R(3)=2ohm and find R(2) that will make R(AB)=R(3)...

I thought there's a mistake in the question given that R(AB)= cannot be 2ohm...? correctly me if I', wrong...

2) assume R(2)=4ohm, R(3)=2ohm and find the value of R(1) that will make R(AB)=R(1)...

pls advise how do I go about it.

thanks heaps!
Cseet

Physics news on Phys.org

cseet,
I agree with your assessment of # 1) based on what's given. For # 2), just use your series parallel stuff. Be careful with your order of combination.

Originally posted by cseet
pls advise how do I go about it.
Step 1: post in the HW forum (for these kinds of q's). It's way the hell down at the bottom, though, so it is understandable that you haven't noticed it.

nothing wrong with question #1, and yes, homework section seems appropriate.

Cliff

[tex]R_{AB} = R_1||R_2 + R_3 = \frac{R_1R_2}{R_1 + R_2} + R_3[/tex]
Both questions require you to solve one equation with one unknown.

After reading the two subsequent responses, I would like to change mine for #1). We were probably both thinking too physically, not idealistically enough (that's a hint: what resistance value cannot be obtained for an actual (non-superconducting) resistor?).

1. What is the difference between resistors connected in parallel and series?

Resistors connected in series are connected end-to-end, while resistors connected in parallel are connected side-by-side. This means that the current flow in series is the same through each resistor, while in parallel, the current splits between the resistors.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors connected in series?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the resistance values of each individual resistor. The formula is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

3. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors connected in parallel?

Calculating the total resistance in a parallel circuit is a bit more complicated. The formula is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., and then you take the reciprocal of the answer to get the total resistance.

4. Why would I want to connect resistors in parallel?

Connecting resistors in parallel allows you to create circuits with different levels of resistance. This can be useful for controlling the flow of current or creating specific voltage levels in a circuit.

5. Can I mix resistors connected in parallel and series in the same circuit?

Yes, you can mix resistors connected in parallel and series in the same circuit. This allows for a more complex and customizable circuit design, but it is important to understand the effects of these connections on the overall resistance and current flow in the circuit.