Resistors (easy, but tricky question)

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the minimum number of 8 \Omega resistors needed to combine in series or in parallel to make a 8 \Omega resistance that is capable of dissipating at least 5.6 W is 9. This is achieved by having 3 rows of 3 resistors in parallel, each row having 3 resistors in series. This arrangement is the only one that will give an effective resistance of 8 ohms, and is the most efficient solution.
DivGradCurl
You are given a number of 8 [tex]\Omega[/tex] resistors, each capable of dissipating only 1.0 W without being destroyed. What is the minimum number of such resistors that you need to combine in series or in parallel to make a 8 [tex]\Omega[/tex] resistance that is capable of dissipating at least 5.6 W?

My approach is probably wrong, and so I need someone to help me find the mistake:

[tex]5.6 \mbox{ W} \leq n \cdot m \cdot 1.0 \mbox{ W}[/tex]

The minimum case is when [tex]n=m[/tex], and so

[tex]5.6 \mbox{ W} \leq n^2 \cdot 1.0 \mbox{ W} \Rightarrow n \geq \sqrt{5.6} \Rightarrow n = 3[/tex]

The minimum number of resistors is then 9.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an area that I'm all too familiar with, but I'll throw in some comments - use them at your own risk.

It looks like you are calculating for a rectangular array consisting of m rows in parallel, each row having n resistors in series. In such a case, n=m is the only configuration that will give R(eff) = R = 8 ohm (ie: it is not just the minimal possibility, it is the ONLY possibility).

Proof : Resistance of one row of n resistors (each of resistance R) = nR. Now if you have m such rows in parallel, then

[tex]\frac {1}{R_{eff}} =\sum_{i=1}^{m} \frac{1}{nR} = \frac {m}{nR} [/tex]

But we want R(eff) = R (= 8 ohms), so :

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{eff}} =\frac{1}{R} = \frac {m}{nR} [/tex]

[tex]\implies m/n = 1 [/tex]

--end of proof--

This however, assumes that each of the m rows has exactly the same n number of resistors. That need not be required to generate R(eff)=R. For instance, I can have 3 rows containing 4, 4 and 2 resistors each (1/4+1/4+1/2 = 1). But clearly, this uses more resistors than the optimal 9 and that's where, I suspect, the minimization has a role.

So, in this case, the minimum happens at n=3 or a total of 9 resistors as you correctly figured.

However, I'm not conviced that any arrangement of resistors can, in fact, be reduced to the above configuration (but this may just be something I'm unaware of, or haven't thought sufficiently about).

What if you have n bunches in series, each bunch having m resistors in parallel ? Is there an equivalent circuit for this configuration that reduces it to the above one ? This may very well be possible, using some clever star-delta conversion trick, but it's something I'm not sure about. If it CAN be reduced to the previous configuration, then I'd surmise that 9 is indeed the least number of resistors (but I just don't feel right about it).

It seems odd that the question will ask specifically about 5.6W when the best configuration that will work dissipates over 50% more than that.

<<...this is when someone comes along and posts the obvious 3 line solution :uhh: >>

9 is, in fact, the right answer. Thanks for your comments. I can picture it better now! I think that works the same way for the generic arrangement you have just mentioned. The value 5.6 W is probably just a random number my instructor came up with to keep my question different from that of my classmates.

1. What is the purpose of a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to limit or regulate the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is designed to resist the flow of electricity, hence the name "resistor".

2. How do I determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor is measured in units called ohms (Ω). You can determine the value of a resistor by reading the color-coded bands on the resistor. Each color represents a specific number, and by combining these numbers, you can determine the resistance value.

3. Can I use any resistor in my circuit?

No, you cannot use any resistor in your circuit. Each resistor has a specific resistance value, power rating, and tolerance level. It is important to choose a resistor with the correct values for your circuit to function properly.

4. What happens if I use a resistor with too high or too low resistance?

If you use a resistor with too high resistance, it will limit the flow of current too much, and your circuit may not work at all. If you use a resistor with too low resistance, it will allow too much current to flow, which can damage your circuit or even cause a fire.

5. Can I connect resistors in series or parallel?

Yes, you can connect resistors in series or parallel to achieve different resistance values. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and their resistances add up. In parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and their resistances decrease.