1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistors in series and parallel

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    A 3 ohm resistor is connected in parallel with a 6 ohm resistor. This pair is then connected in series with a 4 ohm resistor. These resistors are connected to a battery. What will happen if the 3 ohm resistor breaks?

I think that the power dissipated in the circuit will increase.

The other choices are that the current in the 4 ohm resistor will drop to 0, that the current in the 6 ohm resistor will increase and that the current provided by the battery will not change.

I think I am right because the 4 ohm is connected to two parallels, it will therefore not change. Is this reasonable?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2
    both answers are wrong... and not reasonable...
    draw the graph first, and "see" what's going on....
    imagine current is an incompressible fliud in water pipe
  4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    OK, so the current provided by the battery will change: it will decrease. I think the current in the 6 ohm resistor might increase because it is no longer connected in parallel to anything else. Is this correct?
  5. Mar 1, 2005 #4
    I am thinking the same thing too
    Becuase current does not split into two ways any longer after it left the 4 ohms resistor, so the current would increase
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?