Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Resistors in series and parallel

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    A 3 ohm resistor is connected in parallel with a 6 ohm resistor. This pair is then connected in series with a 4 ohm resistor. These resistors are connected to a battery. What will happen if the 3 ohm resistor breaks?

I think that the power dissipated in the circuit will increase.

The other choices are that the current in the 4 ohm resistor will drop to 0, that the current in the 6 ohm resistor will increase and that the current provided by the battery will not change.

I think I am right because the 4 ohm is connected to two parallels, it will therefore not change. Is this reasonable?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2
    both answers are wrong... and not reasonable...
    draw the graph first, and "see" what's going on....
    imagine current is an incompressible fliud in water pipe

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    OK, so the current provided by the battery will change: it will decrease. I think the current in the 6 ohm resistor might increase because it is no longer connected in parallel to anything else. Is this correct?

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4
    I am thinking the same thing too
    Becuase current does not split into two ways any longer after it left the 4 ohms resistor, so the current would increase

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook